Mac Installing make

Rmpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
Hi. I need to use the program make. It's either not installed or there's something else wrong. It's been a while since I've used a command line. Can someone point me in the right direction? How do I install it/find out if it's already installed, etc.. I'm running OS X 10.4.10

Thank you.

SupadudeX

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2006
Thats an interesting topic. Ive installed a lot of GNU software through source code, but never without make already on the system. Kinda like a chicken or the egg thing. I assume you have to get a pre compiled binary.

Rmpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
Install Xcode and you'll get it
Does anyone know which package contains make? I don't want to install all of Xcode because it's pretty big. I tried installing gcc (both versions) because I thought make was in there but after installing gcc, make still isn't a valid command.

Can someone please help me out?

Cromulent

macrumors 603
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Does anyone know which package contains make? I don't want to install all of Xcode because it's pretty big. I tried installing gcc (both versions) because I thought make was in there but after installing gcc, make still isn't a valid command.

Can someone please help me out?
Installing Xcode really is the best way to go I would say.

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
I thought it already came with make hmmm... Coz the last time I had to use it was installing Apache to host jsp files for my project and the steps required make. Which I used without issue. Or maybe it was coz I already had Xcode installed... Hmm...

Rmpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
Ok. I was poking around a bit and I think maybe I just need to change my path or something. Does anyone know where make is installed? I tried to figure it out myself but...uhhhh...I couldn't figure it out. Again, any help would be appreciated.

Rmpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
Ok, I don't think I have it installed. Can someone please tell me how to install it without installing all of xcode? Xcode is like 2.6 gigs. Usually I can google my way to answer but searching for "make" doesn't really help. Please, please, please will someone help me.