Installing Mavericks onto new SSD

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by smythey, Feb 12, 2014.

1. smythey macrumors regular

So... The hard drive on my parents 2007 iMac failed last week, and I've bought a new SSD to replace it with. Once the new SSD is fitted, will I be able to use a bootable USB drive with the Mavericks installer on it to install Mavericks to the SSD?

I'm not convinced the SSD will be recognised as it will be straight out the box and unformatted. I've done a bit of googling but can't find an answer to this scenario. Hope one of you can help!

2. leventozler macrumors 6502

Just hold down the Command key and the R key while booting for Internet recovery. Or Option key to select your USB drive. You'll be able to use the disk utility and format your new drive..

"OS X automatically uses this feature when the Recovery System on the hard disk isn't available (such as when your hard disk encounters an issue, or when your hard disk has been replaced or erased). OS X Internet Recovery lets you start your Mac directly from Apple's servers."

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

3. smythey thread starter macrumors regular

Great, many thanks. I was hoping I'd be able to run Disk Utility from the USB drive.

4. Lucianrider macrumors member

I've always used Liondiskmaker now DiskmakerX to create a bootable USB drive and it puts disk utility on the drive for just that reason. Get it here: http://liondiskmaker.com/

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Internet recovery did not come along until the 2011 machines, so their iMac won't have that feature... but an option key boot to your USB key will take you right to the recovery screen. From there just use Disk Util to erase the new drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then quit Disk Util and click install OS and you will be all set.

There may be an easier way though. Was Mavs on there before on the old drive and is there a local Time Machine backup disk of that install? If there is, you can option key boot to the Time Machine disk and erase with Disk Util from there then just click restore. That will put the OS and all apps and data etc right back where they were.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Just a thought.

How much memory does your parents' iMac have?

If it's less than 4gb, you might want to install an OS a little "older", such as Mountain Lion or Lion...

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I disagree. Mavericks has virtual memory compression that makes it better than Lion or Mountain Lion on machines with borderline RAM on board.