Installing Mavericks. Question about disk2 and disk3.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by thiagos, Oct 21, 2013.

1. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

I am doing a clean install of Mavericks. When formatting the hard drive under disk utilities (booted the computers, held ALT and selected the flash drive), I see disk2 (OS X Install ESD) and disk3 (OS X Base System). I have tried delete both partitions through terminal prior to starting the drive format and it would not allow me to delete it.

I know Mountain Lion had a separate hidden partition of the OS on your drive but Mavericks seems to have two. Is there a way to delete those two partitions and/or is it normal that Mavericks requires those two hidden partitions to fully operate? I just want to make sure I don't have both Mountain Lion's and Mavericks restore partitions taking space on my drive.

Thanks in advance.

2. Bear macrumors G3

Are you sure those partitions weren't on your flash drive?

3. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

I tried removing the flash drive but I get the beach ball and disk utility freezes. So I guess it might be on the flash drive.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Those are definitely on the flash drive.

5. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

Thanks. I appreciate that you took your time to answer.

6. tgd85 macrumors member

I've had a similar experience. I did a clean install over the weekend using a newly created DIY fusion drive with an SSD and HDD. Both drives were formatted and repartitioned.

It looks like Mavericks created 3 partitions on each drive: (1) EFI (2) usable partition (3) Boot OSX. The size of these partitions differ between drives.

The Boot OSX partition on the SSD drive is ~250 mbs, while the HDD also has a Boot OSX partition but is ~650 mbs.