Installing Microsoft Office 2011 for Multiple Users on Same Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jeffreyropp, Jan 8, 2012.

1. jeffreyropp macrumors member

Hello everyone.

Please pardon the newbie question, I'm a day 1 Mac user and am a little confused about software installation in OS X (Lion).

I just purchased Microsoft Office 2011 (3 pack from Amazon). Ultimately it provided a disk image (dmg) that I installed without problems.

It works fine for the user that performed the installation but not for additional users of the MacBook. I didn't have any options about where to install the software (at least that I recognized).

How can I change the install or enable it for all users?

Many thanks for the help!
    Jeff

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

How does it not work for additional users?
    You don't have to install it again, the three pack allows you to install it on three machines. If you go into system preferences and then users and groups, you will see the additional users on your mac, from here you can, if necessary elevate their privileges, however I don't think that is your problem.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It did install it for all users. On the other user accounts, open the Applications folder and then the Microsoft Office folder. In there are the Office applications.

4. jeffreyropp thread starter macrumors member

Thank you

You're right. I found the applications. For whatever reason, the apps were added to the dock for the installing user by default but not other users.

Is that standard behavior or defined by each app during installation?

Thanks again for helping!

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Installing the Microsoft Office apps to the user's dock is something only Microsoft does when installing a product, except App Store apps. Apple has recommend in the past that developers are to not auto place applications in the dock when installing.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

That's normal behaviour, as applications and installers can only modify (eg: automatically add themselves to the dock) the account that is currently being used.