Installing ML on two computers

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Philpug, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Philpug macrumors member

I installed ML on mine and now I want to install it on my wife's. I am a second user on hers, can I install it that way through the App store, if I am listed as a admin or do we have to buy a second copy?

2. oscolivar1 macrumors newbie

Just go to the app store on your wife's macbook air, click store on the top left, sign out out of her apple id and sign into yours, go to purchases start DL. BTW you can share it to as many people as your want.

3. Vito Botta macrumors newbie

Vito Botta

Rather than downloading it again, you can create a disc with Lion/Mountain Lion disk maker (http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/) - works best with a USB stick of 8GB rather than a DVD, as the setup process will be a lot faster.

4. elistan macrumors 6502a

Regarding the legality of whether you "have to buy a second copy":
    Official OS X 10.8 license:
    http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/OSX108.pdf

Specifically:

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That's interesting....Reading the fine print pays off....I was always under the impression that there was a 5 Mac limit for some reason....The "You Control" part is also interesting as well...implies that if you were an IT pro and "Had Control" of a dozen or so Macs you could use your ID to install ML on all of them. I have three Macs, and obviously paid once to install ML on them all. Practically a giveaway at £13.99 in the UK too.

6. elistan macrumors 6502a

I think the IT pro situation is covered in the next section, which I didn't quote for this question.

So in a commercial environment, ie, an IT pro supporting an office, with one purchase of OS X 10.8, you can either install that software basically on only one Mac, or if a particular employee uses more than one computer, on all that employee's computers. But you can't use that one purchase to install OS X 10.8 on both Sally's Macbook and John's iMac, even if they are both supported by the same IT staff.

Apple does have provisions for:

7. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

As advised by other forum members in my own thread, I just copied the entire "Install OS X" app onto an external drive and copied it onto and then ran it on every mac I wanted to upgrade.

No DRM, no nothing. Something that Apple has got exactly right.