Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I have 3 different Mojave installs; 1 in internal drive and 2 in externals.
Now none of those Recovery partitions work, booting with cmdR goes to internet recovery, which also fails.
Which is really bad, since I can't adjust SIP or enable 3rd party kexts.

Could this be because of firmware update which was done during Monterey installation?

My mini2018's firmware now: System Firmware Version: 1715.81.2.0.0 (iBridge: 19.16.10744.0.0,0)

Reactions: tinygoblin

tinygoblin

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2022
Thanks for heads up on the issue, I was about to install this way to get my EFI firmware updated to 1715.81.2.0.0 on T2-equipped Mac. Your alert saved me! Unfortunately, I have no idea how to fix this. All I learned so far is it looks like today all macOS-related installers became a mess. Good luck!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I’m confused. You mentioned a Monterey upgrade, but complain about Mojave. What OS are you running? It would not at all surprise me if Mojave won’t run with Monterey’s firmware.

tinygoblin

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2022
For that matter, I was to get firmware update using this procedure to leave internal SSD's Big Sur partition intact.
I’m confused. You mentioned a Monterey upgrade, but complain about Mojave. What OS are you running? It would not at all surprise me if Mojave won’t run with Monterey’s firmware.
Firmware should be 100% always backwards compatible. I believe something different got broken. However it's hard to tell without logs and diskutil reports.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
One thing I did to get Recovery partitions to work is to take "find my..." off.
Then you can at least get to internet recovery.

The real problem still seems to be, that Apple's system is still confused, where to ask permission to get something done in multiboot enviroment.
I can't get permission to run 3rd party kexts with Monterey installed in external disk.
Startup Security Utility in Recovery shows user accounts in Monterey install, but does not recognise admin passwords from that install.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area

:(

I tried this last week. And today I just finished putting the $500 replacement SSD in after Monterey corrupted the firmware on the OEM drive. At least now I'm prevented from repeating the problem, since Monterey won't even install on the owc drive (bc it's not an original Apple drive). At least the owc drive is higher capacity and faster, so there's that. Thanks Monterey! & Great job on that new OS apple. Mojave forever.

Last edited:

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Monterey can't repairhomepermissions or give permission to install 3rd pary kexts to system installed to external drive.
I'll continue about these over there:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.