Installing more memory and VMWARE Fusion/Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dedic8d2hockey, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Dedic8d2hockey macrumors newbie

Hey guys! I am currently using my Mid-2009 2.53 4GB MBP and I am finally looking to add Fusion and XP.. I have been meaning to do this since I bought the MBP but never got to it.

What I wanted to know, is whether or not upgrading from my 4gb (2x2) to the 8gb 4x2 would be a good idea to maintain speed while on either side (OS X or XP)? If i do go and do this, I am buying from crucial and getting my XP from eBay.

Let me know of any insight, as this is my first time doing any type of memory change and operating system addition.

BTW, i am doing this because I need to use some Windows only programs that I held off on for a while, but I must use them now.

Thanks,
    Alan

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

moar ram always helps. The question is whether or not you need it. If you're running out of mem on either OS X or your VM and high swap occurs than you'd benefit. If your VM requirements are high in computation or disk access then you'll need to feed it faster/more cores or get quicker disks.

3. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

It really depends on how much memory you're using on both sides, but generally speaking having more will be helpful. Adding more memory ensures that you can allocate a decent amount to XP without cannibalizing what's available to OS X.

As long as it's not a financial stretch, personally I like to give each OS more memory than they need.

4. Dedic8d2hockey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys... Also, for me to install windows on VMWARE, which version do I need? I am looking to find a copy of XP, and need to know if its the OEM, Full, or Retail

5. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Can't help you with VMWare, as I only have experience with Parallels, but as for a copy of XP... you might consider looking for a version for "system builders". They're cheaper since they're only licensed to one machine.

6. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

i have the same mbp as you. when i was at 4gb, it was more than enough ram to run osx and virtual windows. i gave Vmware 1gb for windows and it ran smoothly. i had to upgrade to 8gb because of the work im doing (DJ, Adobe illustrator, photoshop, indesign).

i had retail windows running in vmware no problem.