Installing more SSD capacity

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by fluffymuha, Nov 7, 2011.

1. fluffymuha macrumors newbie

fluffymuha

I'm planning on buying a new 13" Macbook Air, so I was wondering if it would be better for me to buy the low-end (which is $300 cheaper) and then just buy a third-party SSD stick that would allow me to get more than 256 GB. I know that Apple notoriously overprices their hardware prices...

If anybody has any idea of what kind of price ranges I'm looking at, which company goes with the macbook air, or if it's better that I just pay that $300 to Apple.

Please help :eek:

2. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Quite sure these, from OWC are the only ones available at the moment. If they're not the only ones, they are certainly the most popular.

3. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Yeah - this is one case where the only 3rd party options are significantly MORE expensive.

4. fluffymuha thread starter macrumors newbie

fluffymuha

yeah it seems so :( thanks for the info guys! i think i'm just going to end up getting the high-end 13" with a nice big portable external HD from WD :D

5. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

There's quite a few great 1TB 2.5" portable drives. I take my movie collection with me on one :D Leaves me plenty of room for work and iTunes on my MBA.

6. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Keep in mind if you upgrade to one of OWC "6G" drives (which use SATA 3) they will be even faster than the stock SSD.

7. fluffymuha thread starter macrumors newbie

fluffymuha

they're too expensive for me atm... although the speeds do look pretty nice :)

8. fade- macrumors member

9. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Technically, yes. If you pull it before taking it somewhere for service, no should be able to tell you did it unless you stripped all the screws.

10. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Generally, Apple won't care. I replaced the HDD in my Air with an SSD, and it has been in for service since then to replace the lid, and they didn't say anything about it. Their general policy is that they don't want you messing about with what's inside your computer, so anything that you break in there is your own fault and they won't fix it under warranty. So long as you don't break things, you should be fine :)

11. JusChexin macrumors member

Just as a matter of curiosity, how "difficult" is self-upgrading the SSD in the MBA? I have a stock 128 GB SSD inside of my 2011 11.6" MBA, and even though I'm by no means a power user, I'm finding the space a little tight.

Consequently, is there a way to view which files/applications are taking up the most space, possibly by some type of descending ordered list on my MBA? I have a suspicion I have one or two rogue files or applications that are taking up way more space then should be allocated. Thanks! :)

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

OmniDiskSweeper is exactly what you are looking for;

"OmniDiskSweeper is a Mac OS X utility for quickly finding and deleting big, useless files and making space on your hard disks. OmniDiskSweeper scans your disks and highlights the biggest files, so you can determine what's using up your disk space. It's a fast, easy way to find things that are hogging your drive and clear them out so you've got room for the stuff you really need."

13. JusChexin macrumors member

Thanks so much!! I'll definitely look into it!! :)

14. Beaverman3001 macrumors 6502

I used a OWC SSD in my 2010 MacBook Air. I reckon I've had it half a year now, probably longer, and it works great. And has better speeds than any of the SSDs Apple ships for the Air. And with the 2011 having Sata3, you could see really huge improvements getting a OWC drive.

Pricey, but if this is going to be a computer you use for a few years, it is worth it.