installing MS Office '08 if missing CD, but have key and software on one mac already?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sissified84, May 11, 2009.

1. sissified84 macrumors newbie

I went in on Microsoft 2008 (student version) a few weeks ago so that I could put it on three different computers. My mom finally got her new macbook last week and asked me for the installation CD. BUT, I LOST IT!!! I have the product key (that I luckily wrote down), but no installation CD. I have the software on my computer... can I burn the software to a disk, load it on her macbook, and use the product key to install it? If so... how? Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS
    MICROSOFT OFFICE 2008 FOR MAC HOME & STUDENT EDITION
    MICROSOFT OFFICE 2008 FOR MAC STANDARD

Office for Mac Professional 2004 is limited to two installs on computers. The third is only a network device.

3. sissified84 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Are you saying that I can't share one of the three licenses with my mom?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can install one copy on one computer and a 2nd copy on a 2nd computer. You can't install on 3 computers. If you only have one copy installed now, you can install a 2nd copy on your mom's computer.

If you lost your installation CD, but have the product keys, you should be able to download a trial version, then activate it with your product key to make it permanent.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/Office2008/trial-download.mspx

5. sissified84 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks again...

the problem I am running in to is that the download version does NOT accept the product key. In the FAQ's on the support page it says that the downloaded version keys are different from the "installation CD" keys. I tried it just in case and it doesn't work. Could I just burn the entire folder from my applications to a CD and install it to the MacBook from there? What do you think? Thanks again for your prompt response.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Copying the folder to CD isn't the same as having an installation CD, so that won't work. If the download version won't work, you'll have to contact Microsoft for replacement install disks.

7. sissified84 thread starter macrumors newbie

really?

Bummer! That will take a LONG time I am sure.

8. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Actually, I believe you can install it on 3 computers. The b,c,d,e were simply examples of what those devices were. "a" said it can be used on 3 devices. Also, no where does it say that one license is strictly intended for network use.

9. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Legally you can't, but that's all. If you use Little Snitch to block networks connections from the Office apps, the installations will work fine.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You misunderstood. You have to activate the trial version. Once activated, the trial version of Office will be active for 30 days. If you want the paid version, then you must purchase it. You cannnot upgrade the trial version to the paid version. The trial version must first be uninstalled with Remove Office, the included uninstaller. This is not an option. You must use Remove Office. Then you may install the paid version.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read all the thread?