Installing MS Office on 2nd Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Joemero, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Joemero macrumors regular

My sister bought MS Office for mac a couple years ago and still has the cds. Will it work if I install it on my new MBP too, as long as I register it under her name? I mean, we live in the same house, I would think a licensed user is probably allowed to install it on more than one machine under the same household right? Has there been a new version released of MS Office since 2 years ago? Or is the version from 1-2 years ago pretty good still?

2. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

The Home & Student Edition of Office for Mac 2008 comes with 3 user install licenses. As long as you and your sister live in the same house and there is at least one install license unused that should not be a problem.

If I recall correctly, Office for Mac 2004 had the same 3 license setup as well.

If you are using a Windows version of Office through Boot Camp or virtualization, I don't know their licensing offhand. It should say it on the box.

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

All versions of Mac Office 2008 except for the Student/Teacher edition allow for it to be installed on 2 machines (1 laptop, 1 desktop), but only 1 can be used at a time. It detects if the other copy is running on the same network and won't let you use the product. The Student/Teacher version comes with 3 distinct keys.

4. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

What if we're using it at the same time but in different places...ie, she's at home on the network and I'm at school on a different network? Can we use it at the same time?

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...if it is not the 3 licnse version (student/teacher) then NO - you are not licensed to install it at all. The "two computer" scenario is for those *single users* that own both a desktop and a notebook, and do not use both at the same time....oh yeah!

6. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I've never had a problem with student/teacher edition working on multiple computers at once on the same network. That may be because of the 3 licenses. You should be able to install it under you name, rather than your sisters.

I would give you ethical advice, but I'm sure you're capable of such judgments and I'm pretty sure you didn't ask for it.

7. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

OK, I just got the actual box from my sis. It's a yellow box says:
    Microsoft Office:mac 2008 HOME&STUDENT EDITION.
    Part No. X13-84395-02

It has 3 license #'s so I assume I can register it under my name on a different license. I just want to confirm, can I use it while we're at home together on the same network? I assume seperate networks no problem right?

Also, how old or outdated is this version? Is it strongly recommended to get the latest?

8. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

This is the most recent version. You can register it under your name for use on the same or different network. Just make sure you use a different license number than she did.

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

10. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Let's see...

I wonder why my previous reply was deleted?

Would it have something to do with the illegal and unethical advice on how to bypass the Same-serial-on-the-same-network lock of MS office? :eek:

Well, I think there are things in this life I'll never know (Come on, I really don't know... nobody notified me of anything) :confused: