Installing multiple copies of SL

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by afellowlinguist, Jul 5, 2011.

1. afellowlinguist macrumors newbie

Hi Macrumors,

I purchased an i7 15" MBP last year from Apple; it came with whatever Snow Leopard CDs that Apple provides you.

I have a friend who has a 2009 2.53GHz 13" MBP that's still running Leopard, and wanted to upgrade it to Snow Leopard for him.

Will I need to purchase a new copy of Snow Leopard, or can I use the CD that I have to upgrade for him?

Thank you for your help!

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Your discs won't work. Just wait for Lion to drop in a few days and have your friend buy that.

3. tsmacman macrumors member

The CD that came with your MBP can only be used with your specific MBP, if you put it into someone elses Mac it wont do anything because serial number or something of the sort do not match up... you are better off just waiting for lion to come out and spend $30 on that versus 130 on snow leapord

4. afellowlinguist thread starter macrumors newbie

Hold on a second, I was under the assumption that you had to have Snow Leopard before being able to upgrade to Lion?

If Lion can only be purchased through the Mac App Store, and the Mac App Store can only be installed on Snow Leopard... :eek:

5. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Yes, that's true. Ignore the posters above and buy SL.

That's the official word anyway. There is an easy way to make a Lion disc which would be able to cleanly install Lion on new hard drives. You could probably do that if your friend wanted to wait.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Oh, yeah I forgot about that. Sure, go get SL too but it's only $30 too.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Cloning, imaging, a spare external hard drive. Target Disk Mode antics can be fun as well.

8. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

You should really pay for the software you use. Your friend should pay for a copy of Snow Leopard.