Installing New Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Windows Expat, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Windows Expat macrumors member

Windows Expat

As a recent switcher, I'm concerned that I may not be installing programs properly.

My understanding is that after you download a .dmg, you drag the application icon into the Apps folder and that's that. Except what shows up in my Apps folder is a little "crossed-out" icon instead of the actual app icon. It works fine, I can launch it...but until I reboot, the icon remains crossed out.

Just wondering if this means I'm doing something wrong?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you're not doing anything wrong. If kill the Dock or drag the Applications folder off the Dock and add it again, the icon will change to the normal one.

Restoring Folders to the Dock

3. Windows Expat thread starter macrumors member

Windows Expat

Wow. That seems a bit cumbersome. Can't the apps and their respective icons just install properly from the get-go?

4. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Yes if you get the application thru the mac app store.

5. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I noticed this, too, when using the Application spring folder. I think if you just put the computer to sleep then wake again it puts the correct icon - but not 100% certain.

Not a big deal.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, sleep/wake won't change it.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

it's normal, and doesn't always happen. it's just a display thing, there isn't anything wrong with the app itself. you did everything correctly afaik.

like said, whenever you drag it will fix itself, and also some people have said that it displays the icon "after waiting a while." i.e. going on with their computing business and it displays it over time. not sure how true that is, just thought i'd mention it. a restart also fixes it.

no worries.

8. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

Hello GGJs... what's the icon between the action and path in your toolbar?

Cheers.

9. simsaladimbamba

That is the DropBox icon, but it has only two options (Open DropBox folder and Go to DropBox website).