Installing new hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wilmichart, Jan 14, 2011.

1. wilmichart macrumors newbie

I need some help with installing a new hard drive. Recently purchased on upgraded internal hard drive and looking to replace the currently in my 13 inch MBP. I know how to physically replace the drives but am struggling with the correct sequence of steps for setting up the new drive.

I have an enclosure (eventually for the old drive). My understanding is to connect the new drive (in the enclosure) to my MBP via USB and then use Disk Utility to format/erase the new drive. My plan is to do a fresh install and not just clone the old drive. So, the question is, what next. I know I need to install OSX on the new drive and I have the install disc. Do I reboot the MBP but boot from the new drive? Do I just put the disc in and follow directions to install it to the new drive?

Once I do that, I think I am fine. Will use Migration Assistant Utility to transfer files.

Any thoughts or help?

Thanks

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

When it comes to installing OS X on the new drive, Boot the Mac from the OS X CD (hold down 'C' with the disc in the drive) and then install OS X onto the new drive (you should be able to select it in the OS X Installer, if not, install it internally then install OS X on it).

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you're going to use MA, just clone the current drive. The final result is pretty much the same but cloning is much more effortless.

4. wilmichart thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everybody, perfect answers.
    To chrismacguy - just the straight forward answer I was looking for.
    To Hellhammer - thank you for the advice. I thought about that, would be much easier. But, I'm using this opportunity to get rid of a lot of junk I have accumulated (applications, etc). To be honest, I'll probably migrate less than half of the junk I have on here.