Installing new HD in Macbook - rubber rails?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Avicdar, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Avicdar macrumors regular

I am trying to install a 200mb hitachi replacement HD in my Macbook (black). Everything seemed to go smoothly until I tried to put the new drive into the bay. It wouldn't slide in smoothly. I saw that there was what looked to be a black piece of tape in the way.

I tried to grab it and move it aside, and it dropped out. Turned out it was a sticky black rubber 'rail' or protective strip of some kind with obvious forming done to it, like its supposed to mesh with metal parts.

I couldn't put it back in at this point and tried again - only to find a second rubber rail like the first still in my way. It too dropped out, clearing the way for me to get the drive in place.

So now I am restoring my cloned drive onto this, and hoping everything is going to work out fine. Should I be worried about these two rubber strips, or should I take this thing back to Apple and ask them to put them back in place? I presume that my own attempt to replace the hd should not voice my warranty (I do have applecare for it).

Can anyone who knows what these strips are for offer any advice as to how critical they are? Electrical isolation? To make a more stable and snug fit?

thanks!

2. chscag macrumors 65816

I just went over the instructions in detail for replacing the hard drive in your machine but nothing was mentioned about the two rubber formed strips.

www.ifixit.com (check the repair guides)

I suspect they are there to provide for a more snug fit and possibly to prevent vibration of the drive while it's spinning. (Less noise.) I would try to get them back in place if at all possible just to be sure.

Regards.

3. dcains macrumors regular

I'd make sure the rubber rails were in place. If you're having difficulties because they're too flexible, try chilling them for a while in the freezer first.

4. GeekyTiki macrumors newbie

Mine popped out when I swapped drives.
    It is an easy fix, if you look you can see the round holes on the macbook, and the pieces on the rails meant to go in the holes. I just slid them into place and used a long piece of metal to make sure the rails popped back into place. It only took a minute or so. You might break the Sata Tabs off the HD if you don't have the drive mounted snugly.