Installing new HD in MBP HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zZebracurtainZz, Jul 5, 2011.

1. zZebracurtainZz macrumors newbie

So I got a new 750GB internal HD for my MBP and I want to install it. I know how to do the physical aspect of removing the old HD and installing the new one. My problem comes with doing a backup.

I currently have a 1TB external attached to my MBP that I use just to store media on and it currently has around 600 GB available. I need to back up my media from this drive (which I could easily restore manually by dragging/dropping if need be) and everything off my MBP's 160GB internal. I for sure want the backup to be bootable just in case anything goes wrong.

Anyone want to give me a step by step guide to backing up my files and restoring them onto the new internal HD. I would also like help in regards to installing Snow Leopard on the new drive. Can I just use the SL upgrade disk or do I need my original Leopard install disk as well?

****Side Note*****
    A couple months ago when I finally upgraded to Snow Leopard I made a bootable back-up on a 2nd external drive (not my 1 TB media drive) and then did a clean install of OSX. I can't use this method this time though because the drive I used was an old internal that I had connected via SATA to USB cable. I no longer have access to that drive but I do have the SATA - USB cable if that will help in anyway.

Thanks!

2. zZebracurtainZz thread starter macrumors newbie

3. zZebracurtainZz thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I use Set-up Assistant when I install OSX on a new internal HD to restore information from the old drive connected via SATA to USB cable?

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, if the external HDD is visible.

5. zZebracurtainZz thread starter macrumors newbie

So without doing any backups if I just make my currently internal become an external (with the SATA/USB cable) and then install the new drive and restore from that?

Also I just found out I can partition my external without deleting any of the information already on it. Would I be better off making a partition on the 1 TB external I use for my media and using that for a time machine (or carbon copy cloner) backup and restoring from that?