Installing new HDD and backing up.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Banandon, May 13, 2010.

1. Banandon macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I'm currently running 10.4.11 on my MacBook Pro and my memory has been filled up and wanted to add more to it. I was thinking about an Apple Time Capsule, but does it work with my 10.4.11? I also wanted to upgrade to Snow Leopard (have the installation disc) but my CD/DVD has failed on me.

I was thinking something like this for my HDD swap: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seag...medium=shoppingengine&utm_campaign=googlebase

How would I transfer all my things onto this one?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Put the new drive on that enclosure and clone your HD with CCC, then put it in the laptop and voilà

3. maker macrumors newbie

that work with the SSD drives too? just CCC it and then install?

could i use the HDD that comes with the macbook pro as an external in one of those enclosures?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes for both questions

5. Banandon thread starter macrumors newbie

So I put the HD in the enclosure and then plugged it in to clone it with ccc, but when I plug it in I get a message saying:
    Disk Insertion
    The disk you plugged was not readable by this computer

What do I do form here?

6. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I think you need to format the new drive using disk utility. Put it in your enclosure and plug it into your Mac. Go into disk utility, select your drive in the left menu, select the erase tab and select Mac OS Extended Journalized in the drop down menu. This will make your new drive readable. Good luck.

7. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

Oh, don't upgrade your drive with a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB. I replaced my stock Hitachi HDD a few weeks ago and I am disappointed. The drive parks all the time and it takes 2-3 seconds for my system to respond. Sorry I bought it.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That was likely defective. What I've heard, it's a great drive, but of course some are DOA

@OP: Format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with Disk Utility