Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
So i take it I need a torx T6 screw driver to install a new HDD into my 13" mbp. Where can I buy one of those?

I'm in Vancouver if that helps.

MAYBL8R

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
You can also get by using a pair of pliers to remove those and reinstall them on the new drive. Thats what I used, but the #00 phillips is the important tool as not to strip the screws on the bottom plate.

August West

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Land of Enchantment
If you are going to be tinkering much in future this is nice little tool kit to have around.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/TOOLKIT11/

opencase.jpg

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
You can also get by using a pair of pliers to remove those and reinstall them on the new drive. Thats what I used, but the #00 phillips is the important tool as not to strip the screws on the bottom plate.

I second this... I just used some needle nose pliers for mine... it didn't scratch them at all and worked perfectly!... I just couldn't wait to install a new 128gb ssd and take out the stock 250gb in my 13" 2.53. It's much, much faster now BTW.

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I installed the drive today (had to remember to get those little nubs at the ends with the torx t6 and put them on the new drive so it would sit in the rubber holder). It is a lot louder than the old one (mainly when re-installing slow leopard and reviving from my time machine backup) but for general use it isn't too noticable. It seems a tiny bit faster, but nothing really noticeable like SSD's.

The extra space is nice cause I can bump up my windows 7 partition from 20 gigs to 50 gigs and actually be able to use it, and now my mac partition is not 95% full (about 30-40% full now).

I got it on sale for just over $60 canadian (including tax and everything), and i'm not going to upgrade to an SSD until I can get a 300 gig intel SSD for about $300-400 dollars.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
It does seem apple does a decent job putting in decent drives in terms of how loud they are and long time reliability.

It seems hard to replicate that when you buy one yourself. I wonder what is the best way to know if you're getting a drive just as quiet?

After a while though, I'm sure we wouldn't think anything of it, but still might be nice to know how to better research.

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
It does seem apple does a decent job putting in decent drives in terms of how loud they are and long time reliability.

It seems hard to replicate that when you buy one yourself. I wonder what is the best way to know if you're getting a drive just as quiet?

After a while though, I'm sure we wouldn't think anything of it, but still might be nice to know how to better research.

I take it back it's actually not much louder at all.

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
hmm home depot didnt carry them when i looked a few years ago

had to go to sears

The little teeny turner I bought has a phillips 00, a torx t6 and t5, a phillips 0, and a few others, and it was 5.99 canadian.

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
hmm home depot didnt carry them when i looked a few years ago

had to go to sears

The little teeny turner I bought has a phillips 00, a torx t6 and t5, a phillips 0, and a few others, and it was 5.99 canadian.

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008

That's pretty awesome. I had to go to Ace Hardware and get a T6 bit for $3. Oh well, does the job lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.