Installing new internal drive on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IgnasPav, Jun 23, 2010.

1. IgnasPav macrumors newbie

Situation is like that:
    Internal drive broke down and i need new one.
    First question is do I need specific apple internal drive or any sata internal drive to work on mac?
    second - how to install mac os x snow leopard in to new internal drive?
    I tryed to find on google but everywhere is only upgrading and I dont know how to start from very begining.
    And any ideas why internal drive stoped working withoy any reason, now I am alowed only to format HDD when i connect on another laptop or PC?

2. microcolt macrumors regular

What your looking for is a 2.5 inch internal SATA HDD or SSD for a replacement hard drive. To install Snow Leopard just insert your install disk and press and hold the "C" key when booting up. To install the drive you unscrew the bottom plate and it comes right off and everything else is pretty much easy from then on out.

Here is a video on how to open it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoHNcjCyAvU

Your old drive could have stopped working for a number of reasons, age, defect, damage, and just about anything else you could think of... well almost.

Hope that helps!

3. IgnasPav thread starter macrumors newbie

One more question, can I install from usb? because cd-drive does not work...
    And how? is it ok just to copy .dmg from cd to usb or i should do smth else, like erasing and adjusting usb to be able to read for mac?

4. microcolt macrumors regular

You can do it from USB but a CD drive is really preferred in this case, even if you have a USB CD drive. It just makes things a lot easier.

Here is a tutorial on how to get SL on a USB stick: http://www.maciverse.com/install-os-x-snow-leopard-from-usb-flash-drive.html

When you boot up make sure you hold down the ALT key.

Oh and no you can't just use a DMG. Think of a DMG sort of as an EXE or a ZIP archive/image(that's actually what it is).

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

yes you can install from usb... just find a dmg of the operating system (10.6 snow leopard would be recommended) and download superduper!. then go into disk utility and partition the usb drive to guid partition table. you need a mac to do this. then fire up superduper and clone the dmg to the usb. please note that you need a usb drive larger than 8gb.

what i would recommend doing is to go find a cheap usb dvd drive and connect it to your computer and to AC power (if needed) and insert the OS disk and then hold the option key to select the os disc. once you select the os disk to boot off of, jus go along with the install and follow the on screen instructions.

6. IgnasPav thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for advices. And about USB dvd drive is good idea, because at the moment i am in right place to buy it cheap, China. But then my CD with os left in Europe, so how should I copy to cd if my file at windows is .dmg?