Installing new RAM memory into macbook pro 2012 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrhuynh94, Aug 22, 2012.

1. mrhuynh94 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I want to purchase the 8GB memory upgrade from OWC. The instruction video seems fairly easy. The thing is i'm not sure if there is any data to be transfer like when upgrading a hard drive. I'm new to computers so sorry if this question seems a little dumb. Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you don't have to worry about data. RAM doesn't permanently store data and is emptied whenever you restart. Just turn off your computer, install the RAM according to the instructions, then start your computer. It will automatically recognize and start using the new RAM.

3. mrhuynh94 thread starter macrumors newbie

So if the RAM automatically empties once you restart, then there's no reason to upgrade to a larger RAM, right? And will my warranty be VOID if I upgrade?

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Your warranty will remain intact. It will not void your warranty.

5. SlyMac macrumors 6502

RAM is a temporary storage for the data your accessing at any one time. Data is transferred from your Hard Drive (or SSD) to RAM for processing by your CPU. Simply restarting your computer will clear those unused processes but you would still be limited to the max amount of RAM in your computer right now. Upgrading and increasing your ram allows more information to be stored during your computer use. If you use lots of programs at once and/or use data heavy programs like photoshop and video editing software, the more ram the better.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not necessarily. To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

7. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

You do not seem to understand what RAM is. If you aren't then why are you upgrading it? Save yourself a few dollars and do some research before purchasing anything.

You will need more RAM if you don't have enough. What's not enough? Depending on applications and how many applications is open.