Installing new SSD in 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Habitus, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I'm installing a new SSD in the optical bay of my 2013, 13" MBP. I have the 2.5 GHz model.

I'm going to keep my existing 1TB drive to store all of my data and want to install the OS and all my apps on the SSD.

Should I disconnect the 1TB drive, load the OS on the SSD from the recovery option, then move the remaining apps to the SSD, and then reconnect the 1TB drive?

Has anyone done this? If so, what method did you use?

2. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

Make sure you reformat the new SSD to Mac OS Extended Journaled before hooking it up as the main HD. Install OS on new SSD (With a USB). Then transfer the applications from the 1 Tb to the new SSD.

Directions of physical install of data doubler http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/owc_datadoubler/

good luck

3. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Thanks!

I installed the OS and moved some of the apps over to the new SSD.

Is there a way to remove the OS from the existing drive (i.e., perform a time machine restore on the 1tb)? I guess I am a little confused on how I am going to direct applications to load data from the 1TB drive...

Also, if I simply move applications to the new SSD, will that suffice in place of reinstalling them?

4. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

From my past experience I have set the old HD(your case 1tb hd) in a external HD Holder plugged into the the laptop while the new OS is being installed (SSD) while the OS is being installed it will ask if you would like to transfer and files over from a computer or hd(this case 1tb) to the new OS.

I would recommend doing a re install of the applications. It seems to always run much smoother this way. I did the transfer all applications once and my macbook pro was running very odd. Then had to go back and re install all the apps which was a pain.

5. Gpulvi macrumors member

Gpulvi

Moving apps from one disk to another is not recomendable for most of them. Do always remember the Library folder, where most apps install preferences, extras and a lot of stuff.

I would transfer documents, photos, videos and music to the SSD, then format the old 1 TB drive and reinstall the apps on the SSD.

Then, if you want, transfer your documents back to the HDD. That's what I did when I bought a SSD for my MacBook Pro.