Installing new SSD - moving old data

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Geekparrot, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Geekparrot macrumors newbie

Hi all!

My first post on the boards, so go easy on me :)

I have an iMac 2010 with a 500gb 7200rpm HD in it. I am having a shop here install a new 250GB SSD drive, and moving the old 500GB HDD over to the optical slot.

What I would like to do is put the OS, apps, etc on the new SSD and have the older HDD just for storage (iPhoto Library, iTunes Library, etc). I would assume I would install OS X on the new SSD (brand new install), then copy over the library items from the old HDD.

Is this the recommended way. Thanks in advance!

2. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

After the clean install on the SSD, use the Apple migration app (in Utility folder) to copy all or selected system files, apps, etc. Much easier and safer than doing it by hand.

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Actually, if Mavericks is installed the migration assistant can do it during the initial OS setup. I did that with my MBP when I did my SSD install.

4. Geekparrot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys! Does it matter that my new SSD is 250GB and the old HDD is 500GB?

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Only if the old drive has more than 250 GB of data and apps on it.

6. Geekparrot thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah 420GB is used now. I was hoping just to have the OS and apps mostly on the new SSD, the rest on the old HDD

7. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

Why have a shop do it? It's extremely easy to do it yourself.

8. Geekparrot thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a 2010 iMac that I am having the shop do the actual installation of the new SSD and moving the other HDD to the optical slot. I am doing the data migration myself :)

9. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

Yeah, but I mean, why don't you do the actual installation yourself? I've done the same operation on the same 2010 model and it's very easy to do. Are you afraid of breaking it or something?

10. Geekparrot thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, pretty much :)

I did the on a MacBook Pro and it was fine, but this involves using suction cups to remove the glass, sensors, etc. Worth it to me to have a pro do it for me :)

11. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

I installed a SSD in my old MacBook Pro and it was easy but took a while with all the disassembly. MacPro was silly easy. But an iMac is not for the faint of heart.

The Migration assistant lets you customize transfer to only certain apps and account information and data can be left out.

12. Geekparrot thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I have watched the videos and breakdowns on iFixit and various sites. It looks to be much more difficult. My plan now actually is to replace to current 500GB drive with a 3TB drive (since they are so cheap now) and have the SSD installed into the optical drive slot. I'll just reinstall OS X from scratch and copy all my info back over from an external USB hard drive.

I assume when I do the initial install, the system should allow me to choose the SSD (in the old optical slot)?

13. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I was the same. I installed the drive in my MBP with no problem but opted to have our local Apple service center install the SSD in my wife's iMac. Too much stuff to mess up and result in an unhappy wife. Unhappy wife = unhappy life.