Installing new SSD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lambda007, Oct 6, 2013.

1. lambda007 macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a MacBook Pro, and have been slowly increasing my internal storage. I have finally reached the stage where ripping out the CD/DVD drive and replacing it with a SSD is a reality, and now need a bit of advice moving everything around.

Installation isn't an issue, but once its in, I don't really know how I can go about things.

I want OSX to be on the SSD, along with most of my applications. Music, Movies, Pictures etc will stay on my existing 750GB HDD. Can I just do a fresh install on the SSD when I put it in, then drag over the applications that I want onto it, and leave everything else on the old one. Or will I have to do something else?

I really don't want to have to re-install every application again.

Thanks
    Jamie

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The answer is maybe... some apps are completely self contained and can be just dragged over like this and other like MS Office for example install support files in many other folders and it won't run without them. I don't know of any easy way to tell the difference without just trying it out.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Learn how to clone using either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper and clone your hard drive to an external (in OS X blessing a hard external will make it bootable).