Installing new SSD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AnnaCody, Nov 3, 2015.

1. AnnaCody macrumors regular

AnnaCody

I will be installing a new SSD. My current HD is failing according to SMART Utility. It's been crashing almost daily for months now.

I've read some info online and watched some YouTube videos. I feel confident I can install it.

But I'm still confused at how to get my OS X onto the new SSD. I have a Buffalo external HD with my back up.

Will that also install the OS X?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide. Backups have always been very confusing to me so my question might not even make any sense :confused:

Anna

MacBook Pro mid 2010
    OS X 10.9.5

2. CoastalOR, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015

CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Do you have a good backup on an external drive? If yes, then boot from that (Time Machine or clone) and restore or clone to your new SSD is the easiest.

My preference is to install the SSD to an external drive, boot up from the internal, format the SSD in the external for GUID partition Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format, install OS, and test boot to the external drive. If the test boot works then shut down, install SSD, and boot up.

My concern is that the failing HD may have introduced some corruption to the OS, so once you get the MBP up on the SSD it might be a good idea to download the full Mavericks installer from the Purchased tab on the App Store and do a fresh install.

3. AnnaCody thread starter macrumors regular

AnnaCody

I do have a backup. That's a great idea.

So I can just install Mavericks again on the new SSD....no need to have the original OSX. That's good to know too.

Thank you so much. I'm shaken' in my boots but it has to be done.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

5. AnnaCody thread starter macrumors regular

AnnaCody

Very helpful and better than most I've watched. Although that seems to be the easy part. I was not able to catch the link that shows how to go from there. Would you be able to post that?

Thank you so much!!

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Site/Store: OWC

OWC's Video Support videos: OWC Install Videos

7. AnnaCody thread starter macrumors regular

AnnaCody

Got it. Thanks again!!

8. AnnaCody, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015

AnnaCody thread starter macrumors regular

AnnaCody

It is finished. And like most things, it was really simple. There's so many different ways to do it and not being familiar with so much of it, it took awhile to figure it out.

I ended up transferring everything to the SSD using SuperDuper...an amazingly easy program...thank you David Nian for making it available for free. Used the cable....that was a missing link for so long when people would say do it before installing it since nothing came with the SSD.

Installing it into the laptop was so easy since YouTube has some great videos for that.

So that monkey on my back is flying freeee!!

My next project is possibly installing a new DVD drive. Easier since software is not involved but looks a bit complicated on the videos.

So anyhow, have a great day and THANK YOU to all here for your helpful input. Couldn't have done it without ya. o_O :)