installing new versions of mac software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ntbohl, Apr 8, 2009.

1. ntbohl macrumors newbie

(New to Macs!!!) Hey there everybody. Let's say that I get the new version of iLife (09), or a 3rd party app (specifically, Simplify Media) releases a new version of it's software. Do I need to delete the old version of simplify completely and then install the new version? Since it's a Mac, I doubt it's that hard, but I don't really know what I'm doing and I don't have much hard disk space, so I can't be wasting any of it.

Thanks in advance. I'm still ignorant to the "Mac" experience.

2. p.luik macrumors regular

iLife, you will need to uninstall the old. Most apps simply update though. That way you dont have to download the whole app after every revision.

3. ntbohl thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, even 3rd party apps like Simplify??? How freaking convenient! So let me ask this now.. I have no use for the rest of the iLife stuff, other than Garageband. Can I just replace one program/app at a time or do I have to do the whole thing. also, how do I uninstall iLife? Is there a master switch that I flip (metaphorically speaking, of course), or do I need to drag imovie/photo/etc. to the trash bin?

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Why would you need to uninstall iLife just to update it?

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

1. You don't have to uninstall iLife.
    2. Most Apple apps simply update. Most non-Apple apps, particularly those using the Sparkle framework, re-download the whole thing every time there is an update.

Actually, now that I think about it, Aperture re-downloads the entire app as well.

6. ntbohl thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, I understood about 15% of that. So, if I just wanted to install garageband, do I need to install all of iLife?

Is iLife worth it anyway? I love using garageband, but if 08 is similar to 09, than i guess it's not worth it.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, Apple applications will notify you of upgrades through Software Update that should pop up about once a week.

3rd party apps usually have some sort of system for checking if there is a new version contained within the application itself. Usually a window pops up giving you the option to download the update directly, go to the website to download the update, or to skip/delay the update.

Summary: 95% of the time, the application will tell YOU when a new version is available.