installing office for mac on mac air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gradgrind, Apr 5, 2012.

1. gradgrind macrumors newbie

Hello

First forum thread, i purchased Mac Office 2011 for mac pro as a download
    i.e. no disk supplied, it allows to be used on two devices. i now have mac air, i have copied the Office folder across on USB stick and put in downloads folder of MBA however i cannot see how to install it. the MBA sees the office suite of programmes but states not properly installed when attempt to launch. Any ideas?
    Please speak slowly for i is new to mac world, cheers.

2. Sythas macrumors 6502a

Sythas

If you still have the download, in your Download Folder, you should be using this file to install on your new MBA.

Normally just copying the folder from Applications to another applications works great, but it seams that for MS Office it doesn't work well.

If it's possible for you just download it again from Microsoft (trial) and use your Key you got from them.

Hope it help a little bit

3. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

The file from Microsoft should be a file called Office2011_X17-45975.dmg. This is the one that I have, but yours might well be a different name.
    Double click on this (when it is in your downloads folder).

If it doesn't do anything then try downloading it again.
    What it should do is to open a folder for installation.
    In this folder is a "diagram" that asks you to drag the programme folder into the applications folder.
    Do this and you will see the file being copied across.
    The programme suite will then start to install. It will ask you some options e.g. which bits to install and where.

Then you are off and running. Office will install icons in the dock as well as a Microsoft section of Launchpad.

4. gradgrind thread starter macrumors newbie

office woe

Thanks for input, cannot fathom where the problem lies, the folder doesn't have a .dmg or .mpkg file i am wondering if when it was purchased via the office supplies web site it came with some sort of installer software that isn't in the Office Folder now on mac pro of MBA.

5. bogatyr macrumors 65816

It wouldn't be in the office folder. It would be in your downloads folder or if you supplied a different folder to download it to, that folder.

The file you downloaded from Microsoft is what you need to move to the MBA and run. Not the Office directory or executables.

As another stated, normally you can copy the App over but some Apps run an installer which does extra activities on the computer to prepare it for the App. Without those activities being performed on the MBA, Office won't run. Hence the need for the original installer.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you can't find the .dmg file that is in your ~/Downloads folder, then just download the trial version from http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ then when you install it, just enter your serial number/Key, it will install the full version.

TEG

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly that.

Admittedly, I have the older CD version. Anyway, I freshly installed Office for Mac on my MBA and entered my serial number key - and obviously, it was a different serial number key from the one I had installed on my MBP. My copy of office for Mac allows for three installations.

8. gradgrind thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved

Many thanks to all, solved it by following Sythas tip and downloaded trial using my own key, seems to work!