Installing on Boot Camp using I386

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pianoplayer1, Jan 10, 2008.

1. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Hi. I am going to get a new Mac Pro very soon and have a question about XP and Bootcamp. A while back I got Virtual PC for Mac and was wondering if I could use the I386 folder from the disk 2 to install on the mac. Wow this second I just found this link!

http://lists.apple.com/archives/Fed-talk/2006/Jul/msg00050.html

Would this be the proper way to do it? I still have the Windows Product Key, however I lost disk 1 of the Virtual Pc (I dont think I need it tho).

EDIT: I guess I have to go to a Windows PC to work on it.

2. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

windows virtual pc does not work with a intel mac so try parallels or vmware if you want to virtualize it if not then bootcamp it oh wait sorry i read the wrong part of your story lol *stupid me :D

3. pianoplayer1 thread starter macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Yes I would like to use XP Home that came with Virtual PC and run it directly on boot camp when I get my mac. The problem is that its in an "I386" folder. Go check out the link I posted.

I have Virtual PC 5 and this link says something interesting about how the bundled XP is not SP2. I thought that slipstreaming SP2 (from the 1st link) will take care of this. Will it?

2nd link: http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Mac/microsoft.public.mac.virtualpc/2007-12/msg00017.html

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Ok this step looks fine.

Wait why don't we just use this disc in the first place?

Otherwise you're going through the same procedures to slipstream a disc. Do you have another Windows XP disc?

5. pianoplayer1 thread starter macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

My Dad has XP machines at his office, but he doesn't keep track of install CDs and such. It would be impossible for me to find one there, but I can use his PC to do the slipstreaming stuff.

I'm still a Leopard fan xD. Just wanna be able to use the XP once in a while.