Installing on multiple users' computers

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by BiggAW, Jul 4, 2011.

1. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I am going to get Lion when it comes out. I have two laptops. My mom also has a laptop. Can I make an account for myself on her laptop, log into my iTunes on that account, and upgrade her laptop with my Lion license since it will work with up to 5 machines?

2. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

When it comes out, I guess I'll just try it and see what happens!

3. gregd33 macrumors member

I think the rule is that you can install it (one purchased copy) on up to 5 machines. The catch is that they all have to be authorized under the same Apple ID.

If you already have 5 authorized machines but want to clear them out, I believe youre allowed to do that every so often (not sure how often since I am a Mac noob) and then re-authorize those computers you currently have.

I think thats how it goes anyway...

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

There is no 5 machine limit. That's just for DRMed iTunes content.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...with the release of Lion thru the app store the way Apple is licensing the OS is (obviously) changing. Without seeing the new license agreement (yet) what may be technically possibly may also not jive with the intent of the agreement. Yes, Apple has not been too fussy in the past with OS licensing and piracy but the distinction still needs to be made, as I don't think anyone wants to see some convoluted activation scheme.

If I was to make some kind of guess, I'd say perhaps the agreement mentions something about the "primary user of the computer" or something like that, or at it should....oh yeah!

6. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Apple says on their page devoted to the Mac App Store
    Although this is for regular apps, I would assume as long as your Apple ID is authorized on multiple computers (which you can only change the active Apple ID every 90 days I believe), it will download and install for them.

7. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

Wait.... so the whole computer is running off of an Apple ID? I don't think that's right, as you don't have to enter an Apple ID in to make the computer work. Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

8. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

I am going to try this in the next couple of days, and I'll see if it works...