Installing OpenGL from DarwinPorts

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ktalebian, Dec 12, 2008.

1. ktalebian macrumors regular

Hi there,
    I installed DarwinPorts, and now I am trying to install the OpenGL
    From the website, it says I need to enter
    % cd /opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports/rb-opengl
    % sudo port install rb-opengl
    Now, running the first command, I get an error saying this directory does not exist.
    Now, just running the second command, it starts to install so many other libraries! It installed somethings like:
    ncursew
    gettext
    perl
    and so many other. I stopped it right now, because it was still installing things!
    Whats wrong?

Thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The reason the first command failed is because the portslocation part isn't a folder - it's a placeholder for the folder name you need, which differs from system to system.

As for the second question, it's supposed to do this. OpenGL happens to have a bunch of dependencies, and these need to be installed before OpenGL itself can be installed.

3. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

Alright thanks,
    so now, what does this mean?
    "skipping org.macports.activate (rb-opengl ) since this port is already active"
    I get this when I run the sudo port install rb-opengl

Does this mean it is already installed now? (I left the computer to to install it, and it turned off because it ran out of power. So I don't know if it actually installed it before turning off or not!)

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I think you are correct - however, you'd be well advised to test the installation just to make sure. Do this however you see fit.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I'm getting this to. What's the workaround?

6. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Umm... Be careful about DarwinPorts. A lot of those repository projects are either bad or have not been updated to Leopard or even Tiger in some instances.

Try going with MacPorts. It's much faster and more reliable because there are a few dedicated developers to it. Granted they did spawn from DarwinPorts.