Installing OS 9 on a PM G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by skinniezinho, Jul 6, 2013.

1. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,
    I am trying to install OS9 on my G4 and so far no sucess, hope you can help.
    Specifications:

Powermac G4 Gigabit Ethernet (lastest firmware)
    G4 400MHz CPU
    1.5Gb ram
    Original Rage 128 AGP
    No PCI Cards
    non original DVD Burner (NEC2510, latest firmware, recently cleaned)
    80Gb IDE HDD, partitioned with 10.4 and os9 drivers installed.10.4.11 is installed too.

So far the burner seems to don't like any of my OS9 cds (original 9.1 retail, and 2 original cds that came with the powermac, one says restore and the other install.the version seems to be 9.0.4 on those).
    So i've tried target mode with my G5.The cds readed fine, even made a copy of it to my hard drive.
    When I tried to boot them (in target mode) I always get this message:

"The system software on the startup disk only functions on the original media, not if copied to another drive." <restart>"

Tried just copying the system folder to the HDD and I get the same.
    Any ideas?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That optical drive should work without a problem. How are you trying to boot from the retail disc?

3. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was trying using C , alt or if the disk was detected on osx using the pref pane.
    Guess the drive was really busted (strangely it installed 10.4.11 pretty easy) because I transfered the original drive from the G5 to the G4 and it is installing fine.

4. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

The install (using retail os9.1 cd) went fine although OS9 seems to be running slow (compared to 10.4.11 that is on the same HDD, different partition), any ideas?
    Should I delete it an install using the specific machine cd (os9.0.4)?

5. Bonecrusher macrumors newbie

Your best bet is to put in the retail 9.1 disk and select it as your startup disk in your system preferences. I wouldn't do this though as 9.1 wasn't the best. If you can find 9.2.2 I would do that as a clean install and then put in OS X and install that onto a secondary drive. That was my setup on my old G4.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No need to do a clean install of 9.2.2. No retail 9.2.2 discs even exist. Just update your current 9.1 installation to 9.2.2.

7. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have now updated to 9.2.2, but I guess something may be wrong.OS9.2 slower than 10.4.11?!

I already did.

Thanks both =)