Installing OS 9 on iMac G3

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JCLrox, Feb 13, 2012.

1. JCLrox macrumors regular

Feb 11, 2012
    I am getting a Summer 2001 iMac G3, and I am pretty sure that it is does not currently have Mac OS 9 installed. It has OS X 10.1, and I want to install 9.2.2 so that I can use both OS X and OS 9. I am not entirely sure which disks to get to install OS 9. Do I have to install an earlier version of OS 9, such as 9.0, or can I just pop in the disk for 9.2.2? Also, I am not sure how I would go about with the installation. Should I insert the disk while the computer is booting up, or while it is on? When I do install it, will OS X be wiped from the computer?

Online, I found a set of OS 9 disks for sale, and they look like exactly what I need, but I thought I'd give a description of them. From the picture provided, I can see gray disks, most of which say "iMac" on them. (if you want to see the pictures, I can give a link) The website selling them says that they are the iMac OS v9.2.2 Install disc, Applications disc, Developer Tools disc, and complete Recovery/Restore disk 1-6. Are these disks what I need to install OS 9?

Any answers would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. gramirez2012 macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2010
    Chicago, USA
    An earlier version will not work. That particular iMac shipped with 9.2.1, so that is the earliest OS version that it will boot. A 9.2.2 install will also work.
  3. JCLrox thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 11, 2012
    Thanks, this is very useful info. When I install 9.2.2, can I use the disks I mentioned above? And will OS X still be installed on the iMac?