Installing OS on external Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Po.Verse, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Po.Verse macrumors newbie

I formatted my external drive to be Mac OS capable, but then when I restarted with the disc in, to click install, it said something about cant install on this volume??? Does it need to be partioned?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I think you have to install the OS to the internal (main) hard-drive...

Generally the OS needs to be on the main drive. If you're goal was to install the OS to the external drive and then bring that drive around computer-to-computer, that won't work either. Each computer (mac even) needs a different driver set for each model, and the OEM install of the OS won't work. The retail full version, in theory would have all the drivers, but still won't work because you're trying to install to an external drive.

You can try partitioning the external drive with Disk Utility, making sure the GUID option is selected in the options, but I don't think that'll work...who knows though, maybe it will.

3. Po.Verse thread starter macrumors newbie

No, im just trying to run programs off the external to take some of the load off my ibook.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If that's the case, you shouldn't need the OS on there! (good thing!!)

You should just be able to install the programs to that drive once it's GUID partitioned? I imagine it'll work just like a 2nd internally installed drive would in a desktop environment...