Installing OS on new SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jordandj24, Nov 28, 2014.

1. jordandj24 macrumors newbie

I have a 2012 mbp which I purchased in January and did not know much about the differences of the hard drives. I just purchased a Samsung 850 Pro SSD - my question is can I download a copy of Mavericks from the App Store to an external hard drive, then swap out my current hard drive with the SSD and then install the OS from my external drive? Will that work?

I don't have much on my computer so I don't mind just doing a fresh install of the OS. I don't really care to clone the hard drive.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. poiihy, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014

poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Just boot into Internet Recovery and then install from there.

Press power button and then hold Command+Option+R. Release the keys when the screen appears. You should see a globe and a loading bar. If the drive has not been formatted yet, do so in Disk Utility. After that, select "Reinstall Mac OS X" and proceed into it.

3. jordandj24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is an obvious answer but how would it be possible to do if the SSD is completely blank. Would I need to load a copy of the OS somewhere else prior to launching into Internet Recovery?

4. jordandj24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also will the Internet Recovery install Yosemite or Mavericks?

5. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

It's Internet Recovery. It downloads everything from the internet. It is useful if your storage device is blank and has no recovery partition on it.

----------

You have a 2012 MacBook Pro so it would install Mountain Lion. If you have Mavericks in your purchases list, you can upgrade to Mavericks after you install Mountain Lion.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Internet Recovery will install whatever the MBP shipped with, in your case that should be Mavericks. Once installed you can update as normal from the App Store.

7. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

He has a 2012 MacBook Pro and so it shipped with Mountain Lion.

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

But that is the model, he bought it in January he says so probably Mavericks? My daughter bought one in July and that shipped with Mavericks.

9. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

But Mavericks was released in late 2013. Or were they still selling 2012 MBPs in late 2013?

----------

Well whatever it shipped with, it is either Mountain Lion or Mavericks. It would not be Yosemite.

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Apple still sells the mid-2012 13-inch MacBook Pro as new. Maybe someone can report which version Apple is installing on that now. Apple's spec page for that model says it comes with Yosemite, but with a model sold during 4 different OS X generations (originally with 10.7.4!), hard to say just which version is actually in the box.
    One way to find out is to actually boot to Internet recovery, and see what Apple provides.

11. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

I just looked at Internet Recovery, and I can only download Yosemite to my mid-2012 (shipped with Mountain Lion, currently running Yosemite)! I was trying to reinstall it (Mountain Lion) on a separate partition, but only Yosemite would download!?!

12. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Why not download Yosemite from the MAS, create a USB installer, and then proceed to do a fresh install via the option button, once you have formatted the drive?

13. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Because you already have a recovery partition which is with your OS X Yosemite, so it would install that. Boot and hold Command+Option+R to force into Internet Recovery instead of into the one on disk.

14. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Yes they still sell 2012 MBP models new, they ship with the current OS (given a short crossover, so for one sold in January I'd expect it to have Mavericks, but there is a possibility it would have been built a few months before in ML-era.

15. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Question: Will doing this allow me to choose which partition to download/install Mountain Lion on?

16. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

You entered recovery, not internet recovery.

17. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes - partition choice will depend on your drives connected, and how those drives are formatted.
    Your main goal is to simply download the OS X installer, then save it - so you can reuse it if you need to reinstall at some later time.

18. jordandj24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone for your responses and help, really appreciate it. I just swapped out the hard drive for the SSD and using the internet recovery it is installing Mavericks.

To answer a previous question I bought my mbp brand new from Best Buy in January and it came with Mavericks. I've never had Lion on my computer.