Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lolaila

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2003
Hi, I am completly newbie to Mac.
I have been giving a G3 266 with half the operating system (8.6, but no browser , network, stuffit, nothing...)
I want to install a new system from scratch (clean install ?).
How do you do this in a Mac?
I have an original Mac OS 9.0.4 cd from a G4. I can boot with it but I can not install it. Is it in Mac that there are different versions of the software for different procesors?.
I also have a cd with OS X.1, but it says that I need to have version 9 previousy. Is this an upgrade CD, or is this normal in Mac?
any help will be very appreciated .

The Shadow

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Sydney, Australia
From memory, I think you needed to install OS9.2 before you could install OSX.1, so you end up with 2 OS's on your machine.

However, I wouldn't recommend installing OSX on that system, I am guessing it would be too slow. Also, you probably don't have a lot of harddrive space either, so you probably don't want to have to have 2 OS's on this system.

With every OS I've ever installed, I just inserted the CD and went for it. No probs.

If you're a newbie, maybe you need to be told to open the CD on you're desktop, and look for a file/folder labelled Install. (That's if the CD doesn't run automatically).

Beyond that it's out of my league.

Good luck!

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
Sometimes the cds that ship with computers from Apple will only work for that type of computer. I've had it happen where I wanted to install a system and used an original cd but to no avail. My dad got the G4 when they first came out and I tried to use his cd. So you're probably not going to be able to do it. Honestly though, there's no reason. If it starts up and it runs just go with it. There's usually no reason to reinstall the system on a mac (unless something has been deleted or corrupted really seriously). Just download the software you need (IE, or Netscape or whatever), Stuffit, etc...just because browser and stuffit aren't there doesn't mean you only have half the system. Just means that all you have is the system. Good luck.

kansaigaijin

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
the great ether
OSX on G3-266

the CD that came with the G4 is for that G4 model, came with the G4, so the purchase price of the computer paid the OS fee. A retail copy would install on any machine, because it would include all the little bits for different machines that that version supports (including the G3-266) You can even use a hack to get it to install on earlier machines, (XPostfacto.)

You might be able to use Tomeviewer to install OS9 from the CD.

The retail version of OSX 10.1 included a copy of OS9.
IIRC the G3-266 needs to have OSX installed on a partition of less than 6gig, so if has a had a larger drive installed, then you will have to partition it, and install X on the first 6gig. Also upgrade the RAM ro as much as you can afford at least 512MB.

Or you could just buy a copy of 10.2 Jaguar.

lolaila

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2003
Hi thanks,
Can you explain what you mean by using Tomeviewer?
Right now I have a PC connected to the internet, sometimes I download mac files and burn them in the pc and I am succesfull, but most times I am not. any work arounds/
thanks

Johnboy

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2003
You can use the G4 disk to install OS9 . Just start up the computer with the CD in the drive, holding down the C key at startup, initilize the drive from drive setup in utilities folder. Go to the folder called configurations, ( on the CD ) double click on the mac HD files, ( my memory is fading a bit ) then the files will mount on your desktop, then drag them one by one to your HD. Then restart your computer and it should boot to OS9. Then update to 9.1 and then you can install OS X. You can run just OS X on your system, but you won't be able to run any OS 9 programs, just OS X.. Hope this helps.

kansaigaijin

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
the great ether
tomeviewer is shareware that lets you find and install items from install disks rathe than have to do an install/bypass the installer. you can find it at versiontracker. the OSX version is Pacifist, allows you to extract files from OSX installer disks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.