installing os snow, then mountain, then mojave

stuartrozier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Hello,
i’m trying to install snow leopard on my windows pc, using vmware,
but i’m trying to do it legally,
i understand you can’t purchase mojave OS..
but would it be possible to purchase snow leopard which is still available,
and then upgrade to mountain lion, and the mojave ?
is that the only way around it ?

thanks in advance
stuart

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
Hello,
i’m trying to install snow leopard on my windows pc, using vmware,
but i’m trying to do it legally,
i understand you can’t purchase mojave OS..
but would it be possible to purchase snow leopard which is still available,
and then upgrade to mountain lion, and the mojave ?
is that the only way around it ?

thanks in advance
stuart
You can't run macOS on a non-Apple computer legally whatsoever.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
You can't run macOS on a non-Apple computer legally whatsoever.
Who cares? Loads of companies run macOS in a VM for testing purposes. That's "technically" against the legality of it, but guess what – so is most EULA rubbish, such as using a legal Windows key to activate your system if the key was purchased in a different region. Or even using Win 10 Home version as a VM.

If you're going to adhere to the EULA of all software companies by the book, you'll find that you can't really do anything, and most of what you're already doing is against the EULA.

OP, just find a download of the Mojave image and install it. Apple don't give a crap, so neither should you.

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
Who cares? Loads of companies run macOS in a VM for testing purposes. That's "technically" against the legality of it, but guess what – so is most EULA rubbish, such as using a legal Windows key to activate your system if the key was purchased in a different region. Or even using Win 10 Home version as a VM.

If you're going to adhere to the EULA of all software companies by the book, you'll find that you can't really do anything, and most of what you're already doing is against the EULA.

OP, just find a download of the Mojave image and install it. Apple don't give a crap, so neither should you.
I don't care. The OP mentioned wanting to do this legally, and I was letting them know that they couldn't. What happens from there is up to them.

stuartrozier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
I don't care. The OP mentioned wanting to do this legally, and I was letting them know that they couldn't. What happens from there is up to them.
well i’ve done that already..
but the icloud and imessage isn’t working..
thiers a workaround with a utility called ‘clover’..
but it doesn’t work for me and think apple have clocked onto it,

so was just wondering if purchasing a legal copy of snow leopard with a legal serial would work on vm

retta283

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
well i’ve done that already..
but the icloud and imessage isn’t working..
thiers a workaround with a utility called ‘clover’..
but it doesn’t work for me and think apple have clocked onto it,

so was just wondering if purchasing a legal copy of snow leopard with a legal serial would work on vm
Retail copies of Snow Leopard won't work. You'll need the Server version. Even then it would be illegal to install ML or Mojave on it.
[doublepost=1550926081][/doublepost]And keep in mind a copy of Snow Leopard Server can run you between $150 and $300 on average

phunigai

Suspended
Nov 12, 2018
Judge Judy stated "if youpost something on the internet, you lost all rights toward privacy!"
since this is your computer, there will never be a case disallowing you to install programs on your device.
anyways
Snow Leopard does not have a serial number like adobe CS, the OSX is available on a flash drive, i have 2 of these if you need to borrow one.but i dont think that would work while Mountain Lion is only available through the apple store for 19.99.....donctha wanna party, party PARTY like it's 1999!

retta283

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Judge Judy stated "if youpost something on the internet, you lost all rights toward privacy!"
since this is your computer, there will never be a case disallowing you to install programs on your device.
anyways
Snow Leopard does not have a serial number like adobe CS, the OSX is available on a flash drive, i have 2 of these if you need to borrow one.but i dont think that would work while Mountain Lion is only available through the apple store for 19.99.....donctha wanna party, party PARTY like it's 1999!
It's still against Apple's TOS. Snow Leopard (And any OS X version) still do have a license, and this is in violation of it

Reactions: cryptodude

phunigai

Suspended
Nov 12, 2018
i know that, apple rules are not judiciary but apple wont bring stuartrozier to court for installing os on a computer.
anyways
the reply is what device is in your avatar? i still use my 2010 itouch G4 6.6.1 but Internet is horrible, safari crashes every 3 page loads, any solutions?

retta283

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
i know that, apple rules are not judiciary but apple wont bring stuartrozier to court for installing os on a computer.
anyways
the reply is what device is in your avatar? i still use my 2010 itouch G4 6.6.1 but Internet is horrible, safari crashes every 3 page loads, any solutions?
iPhone 3G. Currently have my SIM card in one, it's a great basic phone.

Please start new threads if it's a large deviation from the subject.