Installing OS X 10.1.4 on iMac 333?!?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by markjs, Jun 10, 2007.

1. markjs macrumors member

I finally got 9.2.2 on the sucker and it has 160MB of Ram but it seems I cannot get OS X on it. I tried to "clean install" it and it didn't work......Does 9.2.2 have to be on the machine first or something? Excuse me I am a PC guy and it's hard to "think different" LOL Thanks in advance.....

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

10.1 is barely better than 9.2.2, you want to get 10.3 or 10.4 on it, 10.3 should "just work".

For whatever version of OS X you want to run you'll need to upgrade the RAM to 512MB or so.

3. markjs thread starter macrumors member

That is not at all what I asked......I have only 10.1.4 and I wish to install it, would it require 9.2.2 installed first? I only have 160MB of memory and the requirement of 10.1.4 is 128, thus I just want to try it....for my real computing needs I use my hizute PC I am simply playing with a free iMac

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

10.1.4 is a very odd version to have as an installer. Is it a retail copy or are you trying to use restore CDs? If they are restore CDs then they are locked to the class of machine they came with so if they are from anything other than an iMac then it won't work (and is breaking the conditions of the license).

5. markjs thread starter macrumors member

It's just a copy I got free with the iMac, it says it can't unpack......I have no idea how I'd know if it's a retail copy or not I know my 9.2.2 is a retail copy....And the OSX CD looks the same so I supoose it may be, but it simply won't install.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And the requirement for XP is 64MB, not that I'd want to try it with that little RAM, see the Arstechnica review of 10.1, they recommended 512MB RAM back in 2001.

TBH I don't see the point in running 10.1, it's a worse OS than XP, and virtually no modern OS X software will run on it.

BTW, Why does it say it "can't unpack"? i.e. what does the full error message say?

EDIT: I think it's a machine specific copy (as it's not 10.1.0) and the iMac 333 is from 1999, so didn't come with OS X at all, so I suspect that's why it isn't installing.

7. cube macrumors G5

10.1 is WAY BETTER than OS9 or XP. I used to run it with 192MiB or RAM and it was perfectly fine (450MHz CPU).

The main problem I see is that most software out there requires 10.2.8 at least.

It's not worth getting 10.2. You can find 10.3 for $33 in ebay.

8. cazlar macrumors 6502

Also, if you do go to 10.2/10.3, you will need to double-check your firmware before you install it. IIRC, if you have an old slot-load iMac, if you don't do the firmware upgrade first you can cause the screen to be unresponsive (can be fixed, but not easily without another Mac on hand!). The 333Mhz iMac is a tray-load, so not sure if that applies, but still make sure you have the latest firmware installed.

BTW, you can probably find lots of good info on the capabilities of your old Mac on lowendmac.com, where they list specs and stuff like maximum RAM etc.

My parents have my old 333Mhz iMac, running 10.3 (can't remember how much RAM). Slow, but usable for simple email, net and Word things.

9. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

symptoms you speak of sound like someone installing off restore disks.

[broken record] get retail disks, preferably 10.2 or above. [/broken record]