Installing OS X 10.2.1

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Boika, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Boika macrumors regular

I just purchased some g3 imacs, some slot loading, some tray loading. Some still have os 9 on them. Ok, will i be able to install os x on them? i heard if you dont do it properly you can fry the logic board? i dont have os 9 installation disks but i have the installation disks that came with my ibook g3 of mac os 10.1.2, can i use those disks on an imac g3 and if so how do i install it without killing the imac?

Thanks

(sorry also posted this in imacs forum by mistake, please reply here)

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Where did you hear that?:confused:

Just follow the info on the OS X installer and it'll be fine.

3. Boika thread starter macrumors regular

ok so i just shove the disk in and it will all be ok? am i best if the imac has like a dodgy 8GB HD or something to go into custom install and untick things like Chinese fonts and unnecessary drivers etc?

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No. See if you can find some OSX retail disks on eBay or somewhere similar.

5. Boika thread starter macrumors regular

so an ibook os x installation disk wont work on an imac?

6. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Try to get 10.2 or higher, 10.3 probably the best for those machines. 10.1 is kind of a lame user experience. Actually though, if you want, I do have a retail copy of 10.2. PM me with an offer if your interested.

7. Yoursh macrumors 6502

Actually from what I've read the imacs need to have the latest frimware loaded before you install OSX. Here are a couple of links from apple'a support site.
    link 1
    link 2
    If they already have the most up to date firmware they can load 10.2 fine. Otherwise they need to be booted into OS9 then run the firmware update.

8. Boika thread starter macrumors regular

I see, but will the installation disks that came with my ibook g3 work?

9. Yoursh macrumors 6502

Maybe. From what I've seen most of the install disc's that come with a mac are tied to that model, like ibook disc with an ibook for example. The disc might not have all the required drivers for other systems. I have seen though some discs work with other models. It's mostly hit and miss though. The only thing you can do is try it on one of the systems. If it won't work the install will flag you when it starts running. It should give you an error message like 'This disc is for an ibook install, please insert imac install dicsc to continue.' or 'Can't continue install, please insert correct disc.' Otherwise it would just go through the install like normal.

I would suggest just looking for a set of retail disc of 10.2 or 10.3. They can be had for like $20 on ebay if you look hard enough. Good luck

10. bartelby macrumors Core

Ah, yes. I missed the iBook bit.
    I'd just woken up.

11. Boika thread starter macrumors regular

ok, well i have 11 of these imac g3's so if it wont work on one, it may work on another? and if it doesn't work it wont kill the imac? and also the firmware updates i heard that they are available on the installation disk is this true?

12. Yoursh macrumors 6502

From what I gather from the Apple website the firmware must be done in OS9 before you run an OSX install disc. Either by running software update in OS9 or downloading the firmware update directly from Apple's support website. I doubt the ibook disc will have the firmware update for an imac. Maybe a full retail version, but I don't know. I would verify that which ever one you try it on has the newest firmware on it before trying any OSX install.

The ibook disc may have the option to install 'classic'(OS9) on it. You may be able to install just OS9 from that disc, but again I haven't done it myself so I'm not sure. If it doesn't work on one of the imacs, it most likely won't work on any of the others. Since the ibook disc must not have the option for other systems.

13. Boika thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, well if my disks dont work i guess ill just put up with os 9 unless a bargain of a deal for full installation disks come available.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You will need 11 retail licences (or an equivalent volume licence) for 11 computers.

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

IIRC, it's very nec to do the firmware update before you install OS X......I remember many posts from people who failed to do so and then found they had broken the video on their imac by failing to install the proper firmware updates

16. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

firmware update no workie in "classic" mode........gotta have a REAL OS 9-native boot environment :D