Installing OS X 10.5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by josephl, May 6, 2008.

1. josephl macrumors newbie

I had a MAC as a teacher last year, and I am thinking about going with a mac, but I want to also be able to watch Netflix videos on there that you can watch on your own machine.

I want to buy a G4 that has been upgraded I think to the 1.8 processor from something like 400 mhz. Will Mac X 10.5 install on an upgraded processor? I have not been able to find this information.

Netflix requires IE 6 and Media Player 11, at least from what I have found. I see that Boot Camp comes with OX X 10.5.

If there was another way to accomplish the same thing, I would just go with OS X 10.4

Anyone know about piping cable to it? I going with the dual monitor setup.

Thanks in advance.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

OSX does not support upgrade cards CPUs at all. It may be possible to get 10.5 to install via XPostFacto, but this would not be supported by Apple.

BootCamp is only available for Intel based machines. The G3/G4/G5 machines are all PowerPC and cannot use BootCamp to install Windows.

3. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

if you're lucky and manage to get Microsoft Virtual PC for MAC, you can install windows on PowerPC based macs.

go to amazon.com or ebay.com

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

No

This isn't worth it for what you want to do.

The upgraded processor may/may not be supported and I'm not sure Netflix even works via Safari or Firefox. Anyone?

Either way, the video card in the G4 certainly won't give you the best graphic performance.

And boot camp won't work on a G4. It's an intel-only thing.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

it doesnt

6. josephl thread starter macrumors newbie

Will OS X actually install on a PC if it has the Intel Processor, say a Pentium IV.

Say I get a recent model Compaq and slick the disk, is there a way to install the MAC OS and maybe do a dual boot?

If I get the virtual PC program will it run IE & Media Player 11?

Netflix Requires: Windows XP, IE 6, and Media Player 11.

Did Netflix used to work on something less?

How well does that virtual PC program work?

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

No

Dude, no. It's not worth it. Virtual PC was a piece of **** app that only existed for the more dire of compatibility emergencies. It's NOTHING like Fusion or Parallels is today.

It certainly won't work with NetFlix. I was lucky to make it work with IE only websites and access on a computer similar to yours.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Sorry, it won't work on a Pentium 4.

Not legally. And even the "un-legal" methods are hassle-prone.

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Agreed

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Mac Mini + OS X Ultimate + iLife = $600 (as low as $429 refurb but those are sold out very quickly, and rarely available). In comparison Vista Ultimate is $400.

All current macs
    Runs windows (just transfer your license over) which can run I.E. under CrossOver, VMWare, or Parallels

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah, but..

Yeah, but you can't install a copy of Windows unless you bought it separately. Lots of people want to use their OEM versions and that won't work.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Back up all files on windows. Erase old windows machine. Install XP SP2 on Mac with same license.

13. josephl thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a good weblink for this? What is OS X Utilmate? What is ILife?

14. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

All versions of OSX are OSX Ultimate. It's a joke that was made by Steve Jobs poking fun at Vista.

iLife is the suite of media apps (iPhoto, iMovie etc) that ships with a new Mac and can be bought separately to upgrade to the latest versions.

15. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Yes but this program is really SLOW, even on a Powermac G5.

16. josephl thread starter macrumors newbie

That is funny. I have those I think on another imac that is running 10.3.9.

17. josephl thread starter macrumors newbie

I like the Mac mini. It looks like a good option with all of its usb and firewire ports, but does it support dual monitors? I don't see anywhere to put an expansion card in it.

18. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No, it's an entry level machine: 1 monitor and no expansion cards. You can use one of the Matrox solutions to get dual, or even triple monitors.

Matrox linky

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

20. josephl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the info.

I have another crazy idea. Can I pipe DirectTV or cable to a flat screen computer monitor? I like the idea of being able to watch things on one screen and work on the other.

Okay, I like the MAC but I am not an expert on it as I have used the PC all my natural born life, but liked the MAC when i was issued a iBook as a teacher.

Some tell why you would go with a MAC over a PC. I head it comes with so much more, but what exactly?