Installing OS X.5 on a Black MacBook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by daurgo2001, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daurgo2001 macrumors newbie

Hello all!

I'm very stumped and frustrated!... I've been trying to install OS X.5 on a new HD that I just installed into a Black MacBook... the DVDs are coming from an Aluminum MacBook.

Is this a problem?

I have already formatted (Partitioned [1]) the HD so that it is in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and it's in GUID Partition Table Scheme.

I restart the Laptop and it asks me what language I want to install OS X in, I pick English, and it stalls for about 30 seconds and then says:

"Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer."

Am I doing something wrong?

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
    - David

2. celticpride678

You cannot use install DVD's that come from one Mac on another Mac.

Those disks are specific to that computer.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....this question gets asked several times a week (if not a day). Disks that come with a specific model are keyed to that model and won't install on another, giving the error you are getting.

You either need a proper retail disk, or contact Apple to get a set of restore disks for that model you with to install on - they charge a nominal fee for sending them to you ($20 or so I think).

Also worth noting yet again, that having a set of discs that have been installed on another computer does not mean you are licensed to install on any computer - it's a single computer license.....oh yeah!

4. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Since the question has been answered, and as pointed out the issue is discussed in many other threads, I'm closing the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.