Installing OS X clean from the internal HDD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacRaccoon, Feb 12, 2013.

1. MacRaccoon macrumors member

OK
    - it doesnt recognize my 32GB flash drive
    - i dont have others over 4GB
    - i dont have DVD to boot from

my only option is to install it from the HDD (the internal one)
    If i run the installer under the current OS X version (2 years old) it installs it on top of it and keeps all the settings and stuff.
    I want to start clean with the last OS X.

How to do that? Please note that my only option seems to be installing it from the internal drive (dont even have internet where the mac is located, wont be convinient to move it). So how to install it clean from the HDD?

2. simsaladimbamba

If you have the installer (the DMG for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion I presume), then clone it via CarbonCopyCloner to an appropriately formatted* external drive, USB flash memory thumb drive should suffice.

If you want to make a bootable installation medium, you can follow these steps:

Have you looked at these guides yet?

3. MacRaccoon thread starter macrumors member

thank you mate! The thing is that I dont have ,
    - flash drive over 4gb which the mac recognises
    - external hdd
    - blank dvd

so i was really hoping to find an easy way to install from the inside hdd instead of looking for ways to obtain any of those :)

so i guess no luck for me? :)

4. simsaladimbamba

Is the 32 GB USB flash memory thumb drive recognised in System Report > Hardware > USB or Disk Utility?

If not, you could create a second partition onto the internal HDD via Disk Utility and then clone the installer onto that one.
    Then once booted into the installer you format the Macintosh HD volume and reinstall Mac OS X.

5. MacRaccoon thread starter macrumors member

that sounds like a great idea, especially since ill be needing second partition for windows 7 later

i'm thinking of having 1 system partition for os x, 1 system partition for win and 1 for storage, so i can use it from under both os x

so i have 2 questions here :)

- how much space os x needs to function normally?
    - what file system to use for the storage partition so it can be usable under both OSes?

6. MacRaccoon thread starter macrumors member

anybody for the sub-questions from the last post? :)

7. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Wait so you want the actual OS on the flash drive and not the installer? It'll work, but I'm pretty sure ML requires at least 15GB if not more just to run and then you have apps and data. Plus you want Windows? Sounds like you're asking a little too much out of a 32GB flash drive. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

8. MacRaccoon thread starter macrumors member

yes you are misunderstanding me big time mate :) no worries though

9. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

So are you just trying to make an install USB then?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A typical fresh install with iLife and iWork apps takes a little over 20GB. Add some space for swap file and a hibernation image etc... I would allow around 40GB or so if you just want the OS and apps on there. Karger if you have more apps.

ExFAT is a format that both OS X and Windows can read/write.

11. MacRaccoon thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for the help guys, you are great!

I actually ended up installing it from an old iPod I forgot I had, it worked flawlessly :)

I suppose it could have done it just the same way with the second partition i created.

I ended up with 60GB partition for the os X I'm thinking about making the same 60GB for Windows 7 and have 200GB storage that could be used by both.
    From what i read NTFS should be write and readable by now from ML so I was going to go with that but now that Weaselboy suggest exFAT I guess I will look into that as well.

Any advantages of exFAT compared to NTFS?

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Mountain Lion can read, but not write to NTFS. To write to NTFS from OS X you will need to add software like Paragon NTFS.