Installing OS X Leopard on multiple owned computer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacTavish84, Apr 12, 2010.

1. MacTavish84 macrumors newbie

MacTavish84

Hi guys,
    I was wondering if I could install OS X Leopard retail version on more than one computer which I own. Basically I have an imac and a ibook G4, my imac is running on Tiger 10.4.11 and my ibook just had a new hard drive installed and is currently without any OS as the original owner doesn't have the original disks. So, I find myself needing to buy a retail version of either Tiger or Leopard and the only thing that makes sense to me is to upgrade my imac to Leopard and install the same on my newly acquired ibook.
    By doing this am I doing wrong? I mean I own both computers and they are only used by me so should it really cause problems?
    I'm really not sure how this works so any help would be great.
    Thanks ;)

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's possible and there are no serials so it will be super easy and no problems should occur because it requires no activation like Windows (to prove that the serial is legit)

May be "illegal" (against some copyrights, terms etc) but what the heck, you have bought the retail Leopard and all the Macs so you have the right to do it

4. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Legally no but I know people who purchased a single computer version of Snow Leopard and have it installed 2 or more which they own. Who's to stop you??

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, you have no such right.

6. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Who's going to stop him, or anyone from installing on multiple computers?

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No one. However, that doesn't mean he has a right to install it on as many as he wants. He has no such rights.

8. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

True, but people will do it anyway. It's a fact of life.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No need to encourage it though ... unless we want to push Apple toward a draconian protection system that just hassles the legitimate user.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It depends on country too. EULA is US thing, no affect in Europe. Here in Finland, you are allowed to copy e.g. an album for 1-3 times (that means burning a copy into other CD), same thing for OSs.

Who really wants to spend thousands on same OS just because you own multiple computers. E.g. retail version of Windows can be installed legally to up to 3 computers here

Apple's protection system in iWork and Aperture already sucks, so I just wonder how good the OS X protection would be... There are always workarounds too, no matte how secure the software is