Installing OS X on 2011 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elisamal428, Jun 24, 2014.

1. elisamal428 macrumors member

First of all, I am not the most computer savvy girl around but I get by and can usually do what I need to do with help from the internet.

I have a Early 2011 MacBook Pro that runs Windows 8.1 via bootcamp. I was thinking of selling it so I was looking how to format and reinstall OS X to get it ready for sale.

I found directions on Apple's support site and booted up the computer using command R. The directions said to format the partition that OS X is on so I did that.

However, when I go to reinstall Mavericks I can not. It said that my computer needs to be verified by Apple and then it just kicks me back out to the menu.

I understand the problem now is that I am supposed to reinstall Snow Leopard, since that is what my computer had preinstalled on it. I do not have a Snow Leopard disk anymore. I have moved three times in the last three years and somehow that disk got misplaced.

What is my best option now? Can I bring the computer to the genius bar and would they be able to help me out?

I no longer wish to sell it, I want to keep using it since there is really nothing wrong with it and I have upgraded it to an SSD and added more RAM. I just want OS X back! Thanks for any advice!

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Apple still sells Snow Leopard installation disks. $19.99+tax

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

That being said, try command+R again, but be connected to the Internet when you do so. Using a hardwire/Ethernet cable generally works the best, so plug your computer directly into your router. If that's not an option, you should be able to connect through WiFi using the icon in the upper right part of the menu bar, as you would normally in OS X.

Good luck.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When you get to that screen you need to enter the AppleID you used in the App Store to "purchase" the free Mavericks upgrade. Then it will allow you to complete the download.

4. elisamal428 thread starter macrumors member

I am connected to the internet when I do command+R.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Don't buy a retail Snow Leopard disc from Apple. Those will not work in your machine as it is too new. If you want Snow Leopard on it, you will have to use the restore discs that came with your machine. If you do not have those, you will have to contact Apple so that they can send you a set.

6. elisamal428 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. But I do not want Snow Leopard on my machine. I want Mavericks. Is the only way to get Mavericks back to install Snow Leopard first?

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Read post #3. It details how to get 10.9.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No... if you still have the Mavericks recovery partition on there, just do what I said.

When you command-r boot do you get this screen?

[​IMG]

It sounds like you already erased the disk, so just click on reinstall OS X there then enter your AppleID used to purchase Mavs and you will be good to go.

9. elisamal428 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah sorry I thought I responded to that. It never asks me for my ID and password.

----------

Yes I get that screen. When I click on reinstall OS X it tells me that it's verifying my computer with Apple, and then after a few moments it kicks me back to that screen. Never asks me for my ID.

10. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

The problem is the (still present) Windows partition, isn't it ?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think Bruno is onto something. Start Disk Utilty from that recovery screen and tell us what you see there as far as partitions.

12. elisamal428 thread starter macrumors member

When I start Disk Utility from the recovery screen I see:

256.06 GB Samsung SSD
    Macintosh HD
    BOOTCAMP
    SuperDrive

disk1
    OS X Base System

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay... from that recovery still in Disk Utility select the Samsung part at the top and go to the partitions tab. Then select the bootcamp partition and click the minus at the bottom to remove it. Now resize the Macintosh HD partition to fill the space as shown in this article.

Once that is done and you are back to one large Macintosh HD partition go to the erase tab and select Macintosh HD the pick Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the dropdown and apply that change.

Then quit Disk Util and try the OS install again.

14. elisamal428 thread starter macrumors member

When I select the BOOTCAMP partition and click the minus, a box pops up that says "Partition failed. Partition failed with the error: Couldn't unmounts disk."

15. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

I think you will need to boot from an external drive to be able to erase your internal drive.

You can boot from a clone, or a Time Machine backup, or a USB installer.

Do you have any of these ?

16. chrfr macrumors 603

You need to start up from Internet Recovery. Hold down command-option-R (the option key is critical.)
    You'll then be able to repartition the entire disk and install whatever version of OS X shipped with your computer.
    From there a buyer can upgrade for free to Mavericks.

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That should work, but I was afraid to try that. It sounds like this machine came with Snow Leopard then if the firmware upgrades were applied one could use Internet recovery to get to Lion if Lion was purchased and she has the AppleID used for that. But if she does not have that and erases the whole disk and kills the Mavs recovery partition she will be in a pickle. Of course, might be there now anyway.

18. elisamal428 thread starter macrumors member

This appears to be working! It prompted me for my Apple ID and password and now is downloading and installing Lion!

19. chrfr macrumors 603

Yeah, it sort of seems like she's stuck now. Worst case, I'd figure a visit to the Apple Store will fix it up.
    EDIT: I guess it's working.

20. elisamal428 thread starter macrumors member

Yes lol it looks like it is. Thank you all so much. If you're ever in Houston lunch is on me! I appreciate it. ;)