• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

-prmccarron-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2013
I switched out my old 250 GB hard drive that shipped with my MacBook Pro for a new 640 GB WesternDigit drive. I'm trying to use a Mavericks installer USB to install on my newly formatted hard drive, but it's taking way too long - I mean, I left it going overnight (about 7.5 hours), and when I came down, it wasn't even half done. Is there anything I can do here? I'd like to use my laptop. Thank you very much for any suggestions.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
There's a known issue with some WD drives, perhaps you're incurring an issue with that.

Also I'd run disk utility on it to see if there's any issues - of course you'll need to stop the install/formatting process

Comment

-prmccarron-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2013
There's a known issue with some WD drives, perhaps you're incurring an issue with that.

Also I'd run disk utility on it to see if there's any issues - of course you'll need to stop the install/formatting process
Tried, still not working. Anything I can try?

Comment

300DDR

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
So did you run a full "erase" over the entire drive and it passed? If so, is the "Mavericks installer USB" USB 2 or 3 or could it be 1 (which may explain the slowness)? Do you have another spare drive to test installation onto (just to see if it's also slow)?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.