Installing OS X on an external hdd?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by superspiffy, Sep 22, 2008.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

Can I install a second Leopard partition on an external usb hdd and use Boot Camp to boot from it?

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

No but you could by cloning OS X to an external using carbon copy cloner or superduper

3. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

Yes you can do that. I would recommend firewire and not usb. Once installed on the drive go into system preference and it should be an option under startup disc.

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

How can you use bootcamp on an external ?

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

think he/she means the bootloader (hold down option on restart)

The external will have to have a GUID partition on it - with the OS installed on that partition otherwise it won't boot....well unless it is GUID it won't install the OS either.

I would recommend Firewire too - but USB2 is ok if it is only going to be used now and again. Are you cloning your current OS or using an install disk ?

6. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cloning my OS does seems like a more convenient approach but it might take longer because I'd obviously have to drag all my apps, music and pics with me. Since I use TM, can I just restore the OS to the external hdd and have that be bootable?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes, just connect the external and the TM volume, start the disk with the Restore DVD, and Tools-->Restore from Time Machine and restore to your EXTERNAL drive.

8. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to install OS X on my external and it says I need to reformat it with a GUID table. How do you do this with Disk Utilities? Can I use my system restore disks to install OS X on the external?

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Go into disk utilities select the drive you want to format click on the partition tab then the options button & format GUID

10. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Type 'GUID' into Disk Utility's help and you'll get info on formatting a disk with a GUID partition table (which is done from Disk Utility, and is required in order to boot intel macs). Doing this will involve completely erasing that disk, so you might want to backup your data.

11. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have my TM connected to my AEBSn. I booted from the restore disk, select restore from TM and the computer gets stuck at searching for TM backups phase. Isn't it possible restore from TM+AEBSn?

12. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

So we're all in agreement that Boot Camp can't use an external drive? I'd love to have this functionality, if only for kicks.