Installing OS X on new hard drive with old settings

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Outrigger, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I just purchased the new mbp with the stock 250GB @5400rpm drive. I'm looking to upgrade to a 320GB @7200rpm drive. However, I have already made customizations on my current drive such as the dock, dock icons, putting folders in the drawers, basically a lot of little tweaks here and there that took a decent amount of time.

If I opt to install a new drive and put the current one in a closure, is there anyway to transfer all of the tweaks I made to the new hard drive upon/after installation of the OS?

2. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

The easiest way by far is to use something like Super Duper to make an exact bootable clone of your existing HDD to the new one which you would put into the enclosure first.

I used Super Duper with the HDD in my MacBook to upgrade to a larger HDD and it was ridiculously easy.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes that or use disk utility

Search next time. hundreds of threads on this

4. Outrigger thread starter macrumors 68000

Outrigger

So with Super Duper, it would make an exact replica of your existing drive including all the customizations and tweaks?

Could you list the steps that you took? i.e. installed OS X on new drive first...etc. Thanks.

5. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

You just need to clone the current drive to the external one (in an enclosure). Test that it works by booting from it. Then swap the drive with the internal one.
    Done. No need to install the OS X again.

You can use Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner.