Installing OS X Updates: Does Order Matter?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by micpoc, Jun 3, 2015.

1. micpoc macrumors newbie

micpoc

After an apparent hard drive failure necessitated replacement, I have now performed a clean install of Snow Leopard on a 2010 MBP. I'm doing this in preparation for (finally) updating to Yosemite. So, now I have to perform the SL updates, and I'm curious how important the order I install them is. If I recall correctly, I will first have two updates listed, then after they are installed, there will be six or seven further updates. The order they appear in isn't alphabetical, so is this a preferred order, or does the order not matter? Also, is it better to install each one individually, or is doing them all at once better?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Install SL
    Run Software Update, let the listed updates install, and your MBPro will restart.
    Run Software Update after the restart. Let the listed updates install. Rinse, lather, repeat :D
    That's pretty much it.
    The order is taken care of by Software Update.
    You CAN do each update, one at a time, but absolutely makes no difference in the end - except for the situation where you want to avoid updating some individual Apple app, like iTunes - but that would be your choice, and the order of installation isn't affected anyway. (Issues that might mean not updating iTunes are probably not relevant any longer, except for some tiny subset of users - I just mentioned iTunes as an example)
    So, to answer your question - sequence of installs makes no difference whatsoever. Better to just let all updates install when listed.
    And, On the chance that you have already downloaded the Yosemite installer, and have a prepared bootable Yosemite installer, then you don't need to do the "install SL/Update/Update task" anyway. Just boot to your Yosemite installer, and move past SL.

3. micpoc thread starter macrumors newbie

micpoc

Thanks, DeltaMac, that was what I wanted to know; much appreciated. I've heard some people say that you should install the updates that require a restart FIRST, then move onto the others. This seems much easier.
    Frankly, that is what I'd LIKE to do, but this whole new hard drive/reinstall cycle began with my inability to get Yosemite downloaded in the first place. I don't know if it was some problem on the hard drive itself (Disk Utility said it was fine), or an Internet connection problem, but it happened a few times, then my original installation got messed up (would only boot up in Safe Mode), I couldn't reinstall from the original Installation discs (Installer would get hung up in the file copying process), etc., etc. A new hard drive seemed like the easiest solution.

And the only real reason I want to install Yosemite is so I can install the latest version of Logic.

4. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Have you tried just doing Internet Recovery? If you've already "purchased" Yosemite you should be able to just skip Snow Leopard all together and install Yosemite.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

5. Eithanius macrumors 65816

A new drive doesn't come with Recovery Partition on its own, does it...?

6. micpoc thread starter macrumors newbie

micpoc

No, it does not.

Problem is, I've had difficulty downloading Yosemite; whenever it nears completion, it fails.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Internet recovery connects to Apple's servers, and you don't need anything installed locally.
    Internet Recovery, on your 2010 MBPro, would likely offer you Lion - I think.

Make sure to try a wired (ethernet) connection. You may be having problems with a Wifi connection, and a wired may work better.

8. micpoc thread starter macrumors newbie

micpoc

I'm on a wired connection. May just go to Apple Store and see if they'll do it.

9. superstrikertwo, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015

superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

I'm also on a 2010 MPB and it offers me Yosemite. I'm pretty sure it checks for your most recent "bought" OS since it asks you to login with your Apple ID connected to the MAS.

Internet recovery has nothing to do with the drive. It should still work even on a blank never before used drive.

Edit: Ignore me I was wrong.

10. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Are you sure you aren't booting from the normal Yosemite Recovery partition? It will still ask for your Apple ID to download Yosemite.

11. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Ah. I stand corrected. I had assumed the point of logging into your Apple ID was to download the most recent OS you purchased.

Thanks for clarifying!