Installing OS X

Big Sol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Hi. I just got my first two Macs, a G4 desktop and a G4 iBook, both used but still very functional.

My question is this: How difficult is it to install OS X fresh on a system? I want to clear off the hard drive completely and start with a fresh operating system. How is this done on a Mac?

I have both the iBook and the desktop to do this with. Can anyone tell me how it's done and if I need anything more than just the OS X disc?

Thanks.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
Easy as pie. Insert disk, double-click "install X", it reboots to the installer, check the option for "Erase and Install" when it's asking what drive you want to install to.

Big Sol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Awesome. Thanks a lot. I'll get right to that as soon as I get home.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
And.. especially on the iBook, the next screen lets you customize what gets installed. You can save a lot of space (and install time) by unchecking the "additional languages". OSX likes to have 8GB of free drive space to play with.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
frankblundt said:
And.. especially on the iBook, the next screen lets you customize what gets installed. You can save a lot of space (and install time) by unchecking the "additional languages". OSX likes to have 8GB of free drive space to play with.
don't forget the printer drivers, those are a couple gigs. in fact, if you can, verify that your printer manufacturer still has drivers for your printer on their site, and just odn't install the printer drivers from the OS X installer disk at all, and after the install download from the manufacturer. Saves even more space :D