Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skinniezinho

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Hi guys, ever since I received my Powermac G4 I have some curiosity of trying os9, I managed to get a spare hard drive (80Gb IDE Seagate 7200.9rpm), put the cds that came with the computer and nothing, just a blank screen.
The CDs aren't recognized in my 10.4 (I guess this installation is not that good) but are recognized in 10.5.
Tried the cds in my macbook and they are ok too.
Is there any way to install os9?I heard of copying system folder to the hdd...googled it but didn't find anything.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Yes, you would have to drag&drop the "system", "library" and "applications" folder to the hard drive. Normally it works that way, if you do not use the installer.

Wait, don't think I think your dumb, but can't you go into 10.5, go to system preferences, then choose the CD as start volume and than it should show the window with the installer in it. Double click and there you go.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Make sure the drive you drag the OS 9 folder onto has the OS 9 Drivers installed on it. Use Disk Utility to install them or to check if they are installed. Otherwise, it won't boot from that disk.

skinniezinho

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Yes, you would have to drag&drop the "system", "library" and "applications" folder to the hard drive. Normally it works that way, if you do not use the installer.

Wait, don't think I think your dumb, but can't you go into 10.5, go to system preferences, then choose the CD as start volume and than it should show the window with the installer in it. Double click and there you go.

Thanks for the tips.
Sometimes the cd boots but goes to a white/grey screen.So I guess that the "start volume " tip won't work.Sometimes it ejects the cds.
In the cd I don't have system,library, applications, only a folder called system folder.

Make sure the drive you drag the OS 9 folder onto has the OS 9 Drivers installed on it. Use Disk Utility to install them or to check if they are installed. Otherwise, it won't boot from that disk.

I already did that =) THanks

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
What specific PowerMac G4 model do you have? If you have a FW800 model, you're out of luck. Those models can't boot OS 9 natively...they can only run OS 9 in a virtual machine ("Classic" environment) within OS X.

skinniezinho

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
What specific PowerMac G4 model do you have? If you have a FW800 model, you're out of luck. Those models can't boot OS 9 natively...they can only run OS 9 in a virtual machine ("Classic" environment) within OS X.

Well it's a Sawtooth/Gigabit Ethernet (some sites say it is the Sawtooth others say it is the gigabit)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Well it's a Sawtooth/Gigabit Ethernet (some sites say it is the Sawtooth others say it is the gigabit)

Those are different models. One quick way to tell them apart is checking the video card slot. If it has an extra slot for power, it's a Gigabit Ethernet. If it is a standard APG slot, it's a Sawtooth.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Those are different models. One quick way to tell them apart is checking the video card slot. If it has an extra slot for power, it's a Gigabit Ethernet. If it is a standard APG slot, it's a Sawtooth.

But in either case, they both boot OS 9. You need at least 9.0.4 for a Gigabit, but I'm not sure whether there's an Enabler required (did they even still have Enablers in that era?)

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
Personally, I would find a 80GB HD and format with OS 9 drivers enabled. This way you can have two boot drives, one for OS X and the other OS 9.2.2 Might want to check if there was a Firmware up date.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Personally, I would find a 80GB HD and format with OS 9 drivers enabled. This way you can have two boot drives, one for OS X and the other OS 9.2.2 Might want to check if there was a Firmware up date.

OS 9 drivers are nothing more then a few hidden partitions at the beginning of the hard drive. They can be added to any hard drive.

kdogsup

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
Ohio
I managed to get a spare hard drive (80Gb IDE Seagate 7200.9rpm)

Lol.. Thats way overkill for OS9 (anything classic). Like leasing a gigabit fiber Internet connection just to upload some text files... But hey, if its your only spare drive, it should suffice :)

skinniezinho

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal

My main drive is a sata 500Gb HDD, the 80gb is just for os9 and some backups.
I have the most updated firmware and os9 drivers installed.

Lol.. Thats way overkill for OS9 (anything classic). Like leasing a gigabit fiber Internet connection just to upload some text files... But hey, if its your only spare drive, it should suffice :)

I know but the hdd was given to me =)

Well I guess my problems should be file related.

I have 2 cds (that came with my powermac)

CD1 says - software install
CD2 says - software recover (something like this,I don't have it on hand)

both don't boot on my machine,either go to blank screen or eject, but I guess it may be because of the optical drive.
I have a spare one, but it is a sata one and I've tried it, it detects the cds but keeps on "waiting" on the alt menu.
I think the cds are the correct ones, because in the package it came an aht cd and it worked fine.

So from what cd should I copy the files and what files?system folder?if so , do I copy the folder or the files inside the folder to the hdd?
Thanks all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.