Installing OSX 10.6 via a USB formatted in win7

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thanatos83, Dec 1, 2011.

1. thanatos83 macrumors newbie

Hey all, my cd rom drive is dead on my first gen MacBook and after a hideous freebsd install I'm at a point where I need to either bless my osx partition so I can see it during boot or completely reinstall it via USB. The problem is I wiped the contents of my USB drive (osx snow) for the freebsd install :/

Now I have a windows 7 box around, therefore can I place the snow leopard DMG on the USB in windows and format it so that it will be bootable on my Mac? What other ways can I go about this?

Your time and effort is highly appreciated!

2. HelpdeskRules macrumors newbie

I believe the USB stick will need to be formatted to the OS X file system.

Also you have to copy the contents of the .dmg file across to the memory stick and I dont know if you can extract .dmg files on a Windows machine.

On a Mac you mount the .dmg file and then copy the contents across using the Disk Utility so I think you're going to need a working Mac to do this.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, generally speaking you need a Mac to prep and create a bootable USB thumb drive. At least that's all that I have read when dealing with this, as most hackintosh users need a bootable OSX thumb drive.

4. thanatos83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was under the impression that a win app such as macdisk would format the drive into hfs+ And ex the file?

Well I also have a cousin with a hackintosh. Will I be able to format the USB into hsf+, guid it and properly mount the img there with disk util? Not too familiar with the hackintosh. One more, thank you.