Installing OSX.5 on new HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tstride, Sep 2, 2009.

1. tstride macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am wanting to buy a new hard drive for my macbook but have Leopard and do not want to install Tiger like the disks that I have at home would do. Will a clean HD that has never been installed on accept a retail version from first boot or do you need restore disks to install OS X the first time on a drive.

Thanks

Tim

2. fsckminix6 macrumors regular

your leopard disk should work fine.. if im understanding what you are asking

3. tstride thread starter macrumors newbie

One more question now.

I will try to articulate this well.

I am going to use the OS X.5 Disks in my Macbook to install on a new hard drive. Do all of the mac applications come with this including iLife '06. or is that only from the factory restore disks?

Other option, can I just drag these applications from an external USB 2.0 hard drive (or migration assistant) to move these back over later?

Then I will be upgrading to snow leopard.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The 10.5 disc does not include iLife, that's only on the factory restore discs. Your best bet is to use Migration Assistant - dragging and dropping mightn't work well because the iLife programs have heaps of stuff installed in places other then the Applications folder.

Also, if you're upgrading to Snow Leopard I suggest just going ahead and back up your current system, do a clean install of Snow Leopard (you really don't have to have Leopard installed first, it's just Apple's poor wording) and then use Migration Assistant to transfer all your apps and settings over - this would help solve your iLife problem as well.