Installing OSX from source mac in target mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cowboy82, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Cowboy82 macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro with a clean HD, and for some reason it's impossible to do a clean install of Leopard on it. The installer freezes every time. I wonder if it's possible to start up the Macbook Pro in Target Mode, and Install Leopard to the mounted disc from my working Mac Pro?

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

3. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

Is the disc clean? Dirt might make it mess up.
    That said, it should be fine to install it from the mac pro, start it in target disc mode, hook the cables up, and away you go. Just make sure you tell the installer the right drive to install to!
    What's worth doing, is once you've got the machines hooked together, put the dvd in the macpro, open up terminal and type/copy n paste:
    open "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/"

then, in the window that pops up, find "OSInstall.mpkg" and double click it. That way you get to run the installer without messing around with reboots and stuff

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Leopard? are you sure that is supported by the actual computer - though it wouldnt boot the OS disc if it wasnt.

installing via target disk mode will work, assuming the MBP can take the OS that you are trying to install.